Home Open Account Help 286 users online

Nostalgia & History > All gone now - a "spiritual" site

Date: 11/24/14 20:55
All gone now - a "spiritual" site
Author: jonjonjonjon

Going through my old slides I found this shot taken in 1978 outside of Newark, NY at CP15 on the former NYC Water Level Route.
What's different now? Just about everything.
From what I can tell from the Google views are that the bridge in the distance is gone — it was the former Newark & Marion RR, then PC/Conrail Marion branch.
The controlled siding is gone, as are the signals and crossovers.
Line poles - gone.
Only thing left is the double-track mainline.

Anybody out there have a current shot of this place?

An interesting side note - on the Google map you'll se a marker for the Fox Sisters homestead. The Fox Sisters were quite famous in the mid-1800's as spiritualists who could communicate with the dead by series of thumps and rapping sounds. They were exposed as frauds eventually and one of them married famed arctic explorer Elija Kent Kane - but that's for another forum on a different web site.

Here's my previous post with a shot taken from the bridge.
http://www.trainorders.com/discussion/read.php?11,2668397,2668397#msg-2668397

Here's a TO'er's shot in 1976 from about the same location as my first picture...
http://www.trainorders.com/discussion/read.php?11,3397449,3397449#msg-3397449

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/27/14 08:34 by jonjonjonjon.

Date: 11/24/14 22:31
Re: All gone now - a "spiritual" site
Author: DNRY122

The spiritualist sisters remind me of the story about George, a railroader whose wife joined a seance group. He scoffed at the whole business of supposedly communicating with the departed and expressed his disbelief fairly often. Finally his wife said, "If you haven't tried it, don't knock it." So a week or so later they go to a seance. The medium sees him and says "I see we have a guest in our circle. You are welcome to join us, but I sense a feeling of skepticism. No matter, let us summon the spirits." The medium goes through her "hocus pocus" and after some other proceedings, asks George if there were someone he'd like to talk with. He says, "Why, yes. My old conductor, Mike left us last year, and he was my best buddy. Can you get in touch with him?" So the medium does some incantations, and soon, a voice says, "George, Hi! This is Mike. Glad we could get together like this. Do you have any questions?" "Mike, one thing that I've wondered about, do they have railroads in the Great Beyond?" And Mike answers, "Well, I have some good news and some bad news." "OK, what's the good news?" "We do have railroads up here, steam, diesel and electric. Every kind of train you can imagine." "Wow! But what's the bad news?" "You're first out on the Celestial Railway extra board, and you're called for 10 AM tomorrow morning.

Date: 11/25/14 09:08
Author: atsf121

That was great DNRY.

Posted from iPhone

Date: 11/25/14 11:12
Author: hogheaded

>The Fox Sisters were quite famous in the mid-1800's as spiritualists who could communicate with the dead by series of thumps and rapping sounds.

Obviously, they were the founders of Fox News. [Drum riff, please!]

...I'm sorry. I'm merely jumping on a straight line.

At my age, my political interests are solely confined to waking-up tomorrow morning.

-E.O.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0389 seconds