Home Open Account Help 331 users online

Nostalgia & History > McCloud River Sand Cars

Date: 12/19/14 14:52
McCloud River Sand Cars
Author: BNModeler

Can anyone give me the dimension and weight of the McCloud River Sand Cars?
I am looking for just the tank style and basically just the tank dimension and weight,
Thanks

Date: 12/19/14 15:19
Re: McCloud River Sand Cars
Author: mcfflyer

Sending a message to Elko, Nevada for a response . . .

Come in, Jeff....

Date: 12/19/14 16:23
Author: ln844south

Tank off one is listed on Craigs list Redding, Ca. if you happen to need one!

Steve Panzik
Chiloquin, Or

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/19/14 17:42 by ln844south.

Date: 12/19/14 17:27
Author: BNModeler

Yep!
That's the one I'm trying to get info on.
I worked with the guy who's trying to find the info.

Date: 12/19/14 21:46
Author: JDLX

Very interesting...

Appears this is the body of sand car 823, as the body for the other one (821) is (last I knew) still lying upside down not far east of McCloud.

Pardon me while I nerd out here for a second...American Car & Foundry built this tank in their Niles, California plant new for McCloud River in February 1907, one of six new oil service tank cars McCloud bought from them at this time (MR #2000-#2005). This one was MR #2002. The car survived in oil service until 1957, when the shops converted it to Sand Car #503. In April 1977 the original frame wore out, and the shops remounted the tank onto flat car #823. The railroad removed the sand car body about 1988 and converted the flat back to m-o-w work.

As to dimensions...as built these cars had a capacity of 8,000 gallons and measured out at 33' long, though that included the frame extending beyond the ends of the tank. As for weight...the #823 had a Lt Wt stencil of 57,700 pounds dating from its sand car conversion, the #824 (another flat similar to the #823) had a Lt Wt stencil of 47,200 pounds...difference between these two (10,500 pounds) would at least appear to be the weight of the tank car body.

More information and a few photographs here, if you haven't seen this already...

http://www.trainweb.org/mccloudrails/Equipment/MR503.html

Hope this helps, if you have any more questions please ask and should I find anything else specific I will post it here...

Jeff Moore
Elko, NV

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0321 seconds