Home Open Account Help 325 users online

Nostalgia & History > 20 years ago...

Date: 12/21/14 16:29
20 years ago...
Author: bradleymckay

this was the cover of Pacific Rail News. Doesn't seem possible it's been 20 years already. Cover photo by Steve Schmollinger.

This was when Michael Clayton was the Publisher, Don Gulbrandsen was the Editor, Brian Soloman was Co-Associate Editor with Carl Swanson, Mac Sebree was Editorial Consultant, and the Contributing Editors were Greg Brown, Elrond Lawrence, Wayne Monger and Dick Stephenson. Art Director was Tom Danneman and Advertising Manager was Richard Gruber.

Allen

Date: 12/21/14 16:53
Re: 20 years ago...
Author: MartyBernard

Out of curiosity, why did you unearth this today?

Marty Bernard

Date: 12/21/14 19:02
Author: bradleymckay

MartyBernard Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Out of curiosity, why did you unearth this today?
>
>
> Marty Bernard

I noticed it had been 20 years since this issue came out and I also happened to really like this issue since I've always been a huge fan of the FRC. For 16 years my parents lived 20 minutes away from the west end of the canyon at James and I spent countless hours driving up and down Hwy 70.

Additionally at the time Pacific Rail News had gained readers due to the dismal performance of CTC Board (editor couldn't get the magazine out on time) and for awhile I thought it was better than CTC Board. Unfortunately PRN bit the dust as the internet age moved forward...

Allen

Date: 12/22/14 08:04
Author: rsanchez

PRN left us in the late 90's well before the internet got into everyone's homes. It was (IMHO) light years better than CTC/Railroads Illustrated but seemed to run into some financial issues when it went with national coverage. Then Kalmbach came along..... :(

I still miss PRN to this day.

Date: 12/22/14 11:19
Author: pmack

I'm interested in the BN Cornelius Pass article. It is north of Beaverton, OR, and still in use by the Portland and Western. The new wye SilvertonRR100 has kept us updated on is part of the line from United Junction on the Astoria branch ( https://goo.gl/maps/wbFZK ) to points south on the PNW system. The MAX light rail follows the old Oregon Electric (BN) line from Beaverton to Hillsboro. Here is the tunnel at the top of the pass, https://goo.gl/maps/57Mq6 .

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0373 seconds