Home Open Account Help 240 users online

Nostalgia & History > Lone Star Nights (vol #3)

Date: 01/23/15 05:31
Lone Star Nights (vol #3)
Author: santafe199

During my early Santa Fe employment I only had about 16 months to shoot my favorite Amtrak train, the “Lone Star”. I hired on in June of 1978, and by October of 1979 the Lone Star was history. I did manage to shoot the train several times in Emporia where I lived, and a respectable number of times in almost every other location in my part of the state. That included Kansas City Union Station. The one glaring exception was Topeka, KS. I never got the chance to shoot #15 & #16 there.

So I suppose these shots of replacement train, the Southwest Limited will have to suffice. I guess if I squint my eyes just right I can pretend I see #16 sitting here at 4th St, instead of #4…

1. & 2. AMTK 521 on the point of train #4, the Southwest Limited at Topeka, KS on January 5, 1980.

Thanks for looking back!
Lance Garrels
santafe199

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/01/22 00:15 by santafe199.

Date: 01/23/15 06:30
Re: Lone Star Nights (vol #3)
Author: robj

Those two are really nice.

Lights on in the cab, number boards very clear, not burned out. Neat shadows and highlights with cars on station track and caboose in the night.
Really great scan and good processing. Can't beat the natural lighting.

Thanks!

Bob Jordan

Date: 01/23/15 09:22
Author: MartyBernard

I agree with Bob. A couple of nice pieces of work from shutter click to T.O. post.

Marty Bernard

Date: 01/23/15 14:20
Author: nycman

Lance, your night photography skills are amazing. Wish I could do that.

Date: 01/23/15 14:38
Author: santafe199

nycman Wrote: > Wish I could do that...

Thank you for the compliment, sir! But as I've preached for years that the hardest part about night time exposures is getting a sharp focus and maybe keeping your camera level on the tripod. Once you understand the latitude (forgiveness) built into time exposures it becomes ridiculously easy to get a good shot...

Lance

Date: 01/23/15 18:32
Author: mp51w

With the engines stopped at the foot of 4th St., that would put the sleepers way way down at 6th St. A+++ BTW

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0421 seconds