Home Open Account Help 366 users online

Nostalgia & History > Maroon Monday: Aerotrain memories...

Date: 01/26/15 07:40
Maroon Monday: Aerotrain memories...
Author: santafe199

…but not any of my memories.

For this week’s Maroon Monday here’s a ‘Mighty Fine’ copy slide from Jim Watson’s collection. As is so often the case in the average railfan’s slide collection there will always be those few slides that have no information attached whatsoever. Jim doesn’t even remember how or when he acquired this slide. And it’s a non-Kodak product, so there isn’t even a processing date to tell us when this slide dupe was made.

But dang, isn’t this one COOL shot!! Lots of history resides in this image. The unique visual signature of the Aerotrain’s 1950’s space program-crazy, illusion-of-speed styling stands right out. All of this happened while I was still in diapers, hence the reason for my sub-title. But still, that doesn’t mean I can’t appreciate the sheer history in an image such as this. Look at all of the head end business on the right hand side, and this area on the left I’m guessing is the same? (Corrections cheerfully accepted!) What Chicago skyline building, with the red girder skeleton is that under construction back there? And to me the most amazing aspect of this image: There is virtually NO litter & trash laying around poisoning the scene! Stand in this exact spot in 1979 and tell me what you see...

It would be nice to find out who took this shot & when, but if that doesn’t happen we are still left to enjoy this slice of RR history from Chicago

1. CRI&P 3, an Aerotrain set is nosing through this crossover, having just departed downtown. Maybe in the early 1960s?? The train number, photographer & actual date are all unknown.
(from the James W. Watson collection)

Thanks for looking back!
Lance Garrels (santafe199)
Jim Watson (UP6900)

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/01/22 22:06 by santafe199.

Date: 01/26/15 07:45

Author: trainman44

From what I heard, when these first went into service. engineers were over shooting their station stops due to the brake shoes being too small. They were used to stopping conventional equipment and these certainly weren't conventional.

Date: 01/26/15 07:55

Author: Englewood

New York Central 12th St. Yard on the right, Rock Island 12th St. Yard on the left.

If you look close in the background you can see a big NYC train hanging out of the depot with its headlight off.
That is probably why the Rocket is using the 12th St. crossover to get over to track 4

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/26/15 07:57 by Englewood.

Date: 01/26/15 09:22

Author: CPR_4000

Nice collection of mail storage cars!

Date: 01/26/15 09:28

Author: BoilingMan

What were the years of service for the AeroTrain on the Rock?
SR

Date: 01/26/15 10:13

Author: Christo

I believe the building under construction is the Federal courthouse on Dearborn between Monroe and Jackson.

Date: 01/26/15 10:57

Author: kingman

The Lee sign on the right , Is that the Dearborn clock tower I see .

Date: 01/26/15 11:20

kingman Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The Lee sign on the right , Is that the Dearborn
> clock tower I see .

Yes it is.

Date: 01/26/15 11:50

Author: drumwrencher

Take a close look sometime at the hood mounted lights on a '63 Chevy pickup truck...(might have been a '62?)

Outstanding pic. Thanks for sharing it with all of us!

Walter
Sanfranciscotrains.org

Date: 01/26/15 12:16

Author: kingman

I saw a picture of the Aero Train that was on the City of Los Vegas and Union Pacific shipped it to the rock Is when they went back to conventional train service. Is #3 the same engine which ties in with the other Las Vegas post above?

Date: 01/26/15 14:50

Author: refarkas

An "A+" image. This is an excellent image that captures a train few of us have seen. With all the background detail, it is all-the-more interesting. Thanks for posting this.
Bob

Date: 01/26/15 15:04

refarkas Wrote:> ...an excellent image that captures a train few of us have seen...

I agree totally. In fact when I got to this this scan it just sorta 'ran around' a couple of Jim's other CRI&P slides I already had earmarked for Maroon Monday...

Lance

Date: 01/26/15 15:05

Author: ATSF100WEST

Better to look at it than have to ride it, trust me.

Bob

ATSF100WEST......Out

Date: 01/26/15 15:21

Here is a map of the Federal Building relative to La Salle Street Station:

http://binged.it/1H1I3Js

That building is the Dirksen Federal Building, and was completed in 1964:

http://processwire.com/skyscrapers/cities/chicago/dirksen-federal-building/

Being quite familiar with the construction of High-Rises, and the progress seen in the Aero-Train photo, I'd say that it was absolutely taken in 1963, and judging by the long low shadows, in the late winter/early spring.

Bob

ATSF100WEST......Out

Date: 01/26/15 15:37

ATSF100WEST Wrote: > I'd say that it was absolutely taken in 1963, and judging by the long low shadows...

Aha. Thank you sir! I'd say if Mr. Holmes would have been a railfan sleuth, you would have given him a serious run for the top slot. Let's see now:

"SHERLOCK100WEST... Out"
(yeah, a nice little ring to it... ;^)

Date: 01/26/15 15:45

Author: GPutz

Great Image!

1. If you stand in that same (as close as you can get) spot today....
2. #2 is in Green Bay, WI.

Gerry

Date: 01/26/15 16:19

Revision:

Changing my estimated "long shadows" season of "late winter/early spring" to "the date range of August/September, 1963".

How achieved:

GSA Dated Construction Photos.

How:

"My season error proof":

http://www.gsa.gov/gsa/pbsbpp/photos/IL0205-H-2004-00040.jpg

Description: View to South, photo dated 3/21/1963, black and white positive.
Photographer/Artist: unknown
Copyright Holder: N/A

And how I narrowed to the "months":

http://www.gsa.gov/gsa/pbsbpp/photos/IL0205-H-2004-00051.jpg

Description: View to Northwest from Jackson and State Streets, photo dated 8/20/1963, black and white positive.

and

http://www.gsa.gov/gsa/pbsbpp/photos/IL0205-H-2004-00050.jpg

Description: View to Northeast from Jackson and Dearborn Streets, photo dated 8/20/1963, black and white positive.

I LOVE the internet!!!!!!

Bob

ATSF100WEST......Out

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/26/15 16:31 by ATSF100WEST.

Date: 01/26/15 16:29

ATSF100WEST Wrote: > ... how I narrowed to the "months":

I am bowing deeply at the waist!

;^)

Date: 01/26/15 19:58

GPutz Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Great Image!
>
> 1. If you stand in that same (as close as you can
> get) spot today....

Looks like that Metra train has an identity crisis: headlights, ditch lights and
markers all lit. Doesn't know whether it is coming or going.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0722 seconds