Home Open Account Help 200 users online

Nostalgia & History > Volunteering

Date: 01/31/15 07:28
Volunteering
Author: Southern3205

Good day all,

My misses and I have been fortunate to have acquired a couple of classic vehicles and have started wondering, are there any railroad/way museums that use similar volunteered vehicles in photo shoots or other events? The main thing that we have to figure in is distance as we live about an hour south of Jacksonville, FL. I've attached pictures of what we have. The first is a 1953 Ford Customline, the second is a Ford F600, also 1953 (the last year of the flathead motor in the states). We hope to have the F600 at least running by the end of the year, if not sooner and will ultimately be a flatbed.

Any help is appreciated,
Jon

Date: 01/31/15 11:25
Re: Volunteering
Author: ClubCar

Southern3205 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Good day all,
>
> My misses and I have been fortunate to have
> acquired a couple of classic vehicles and have
> started wondering, are there any railroad/way
> museums that use similar volunteered vehicles in
> photo shoots or other events? The main thing that
> we have to figure in is distance as we live about
> an hour south of Jacksonville, FL. I've attached
> pictures of what we have. The first is a 1953 Ford
> Customline, the second is a Ford F600, also 1953
> (the last year of the flathead motor in the
> states). We hope to have the F600 at least
> running by the end of the year, if not sooner and
> will ultimately be a flatbed.
>
> Any help is appreciated,
> Jon

Hi Jon:
You live too far away from us in the Baltimore, Maryland region; however the Baltimore Streetcar Museum holds a couple of antique auto days each year where various folks bring in autos like your 1953 Ford and even older cars, trucks and some buses. There folks have the opportunity to photograph the vehicles with the streetcars and with their families, friends, etc.

John in White Marsh, Maryland

Date: 01/31/15 11:42
Author: Lackawanna484

In the case where a museum or recognized restoration group sponsors a photo shoot, it's possible that you could deduct some portion of your expenses bringing the car to the shoot. It's a specialized area of tax law, but it is possible to treat your vehicle's presence as a contribution to the museum. You continue to own the car, of course.

This isn't tax advice, of course. You should always consult an authorized practicioner familiar with your specific situation

Date: 01/31/15 12:52

To Clubcar,

Thanks for letting me know about your area. Eventually we plan on settling on/building up a farm in Tennessee so our range of possibilities will increase dramatically I'm sure. I do have a mental image I'd like to bring to fruition of the old truck backed up to a boxcar for some trans loading with a steamer simmering nearby.

To Lackawana484,

Never considered the tax break side of things. I guess it could fall under a charity function of some sort? Thanks for the idea.

Date: 01/31/15 14:16
Author: ClubCar

Southern3205 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> To Clubcar,
>
> Thanks for letting me know about your area.
> Eventually we plan on settling on/building up a
> farm in Tennessee so our range of possibilities
> will increase dramatically I'm sure. I do have a
> mental image I'd like to bring to fruition of the
> old truck backed up to a boxcar for some trans
> loading with a steamer simmering nearby.
>
> To Lackawana484,
>
> Never considered the tax break side of things. I
> guess it could fall under a charity function of
> some sort? Thanks for the idea.

Southern3205:

There are many shortline railroads that work with folks like you to create a photo image; for example up in Pennsylvania there is the Strasburg Railroad that operates a great tourist line and they have all kinds of old passenger and freight cars along with their many working steam engines. They also haul freight as well as being a passenger tourist line. Go to www:StrasburgRailRoad.com to learn more about them. I'm sure that there are many others closer to you in Florida and if you are going up to Tennessee, there are others.

John in White Marsh, Maryland

Date: 02/01/15 01:15

To Clubcar,

Thank you sir. I'm fairly familiar with the Strasburg, although never having been there, and would love to work with (and for) them however I could.

Date: 02/02/15 11:07
Author: Gonut1

My first rail fanning car was a light blue 1952 Ford Crestline Convertible. It had two-tone blue leather interior and a white canvas top. This was in 1963 and it was considered ancient. I now have a 1990 4X4 Sr-5 Toyota pickup that has 309,000 miles on it. It truly is ancient and starting to look it. It was the daily driver until 3 years ago. Lots of rail fanning miles there.
Gonut

Date: 02/02/15 18:26
Author: wabash2800

What locomotive would go with my classic car at a railroad photo session other than a blonde? <G> It's a 1966 built in December 1965. A lash-up of new GP40s or U30Bs?

Victor A. Baird
http://www.erstwhilepublications.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/03/15 13:04 by wabash2800.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0653 seconds