Home Open Account Help 317 users online

Nostalgia & History > Yes, Glenwood Canyon is impressive ...

Date: 02/01/15 13:11
Yes, Glenwood Canyon is impressive ...
Author: valmont

Took this in Colorado's Glenwood Canyon on Sept. 15, 1983, back before I70 changed things ....

Date: 02/01/15 13:32
Re: Yes, Glenwood Canyon is impressive ...
Author: MartyBernard

Wish I had seen it before I70 ruined it. Thanks for the post.

Marty Bernard

Date: 02/01/15 13:44
Author: dan

I 70 is remarkable feat of engineering, all thou US 6 pulling over anywhere was cool i suppose, and play the RR side is pretty untouched from I70, the other side of the canyon, but with like 5 rest stops and a bike trail still the river is pretty accessible. the canyon is still religious for me

Date: 02/01/15 13:59
Author: callum_out

I agree, I-70 certainly didn't ruin the canyon and is a massive feat upon itself.
The rest areas work very well and as for photos, you do the best you can with the
time of day and light available. Trying to drive the posted limit without getting
run over is a pain in the butt but whatever......

Out

Date: 02/01/15 14:08
Author: CarolVoss

Back in '98 we rode our bikes from Dotsero back to Glenwood SPrings on that rec trail which runs below I-70----building it was part of the "deal" and cost $90 mil. It is a wonderful downhill ride with some uphill at the very end in Glenwood--------great views of the tracks of course, tho the day we rode there wasn't any real traffic. If you want to bike it they shuttle you up to Dotsero to ride back. I'd love to do it again.
C.

Carol Voss
Bakersfield, CA

Date: 02/01/15 16:19
Author: railwaybaron

I-70 ruined the canyon for me. As I wrote in one of my books: "The extension of I-70 through Glenwood Canyon was one of the greatest defeats of the early environmental movement." Also on the same route is the now-destroyed "South Gate" at Castle Gate, UT--for road widening. Henry Ford has a lot to answer for.

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 02/02/15 11:46 by railwaybaron.

Date: 02/02/15 10:13
Author: rantoul

Agree, I-70 ruined Glenwood Canyon. Anyone remember Vail Pass before the freeway and skiing? I do. Native Americans likely say the same about the railroad.

Date: 02/02/15 10:23
Author: ATSF5669

I guess all we evil people of the human empire could commit mass suicide and the earth could go back to it's pre-people state...but then who would be around to know it? Sorry pal, but with people comes progress and things change. I70 did not increase the number of vehicles through Glenwood, it just made the trip easier.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/02/15 10:27 by ATSF5669.

Date: 02/02/15 11:31
Author: MartyBernard

ATSF5669 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I70 did not
> increase the number of vehicles through Glenwood,
> it just made the trip easier.

Wrong. I guess you don't understand basic transportation supply and demand. Reduce the cost of travel which includes time and difficulty and more trips are made.

Marty Bernard

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/02/15 11:33 by MartyBernard.

Date: 02/02/15 11:44
Author: railwaybaron

ATSF5669 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I guess all we evil people of the human empire
> could commit mass suicide and the earth could go
> back to it's pre-people state...but then who would
> be around to know it? Sorry pal, but with people
> comes progress and things change. I70 did not
> increase the number of vehicles through Glenwood,
> it just made the trip easier.

Those kinds of silly extreme choices are trotted out when reactionaries want to stop discussion of any alternatives but their own. I recall that there were alternatives routes around Glenwood Canyon and Glenwood Springs, but the city wouldn't hear of them. Those trucks meant $$$ to the city fathers and they began to undo what had made the city fashionable in the first place--scenic beauty, clean air and quietude among the hot springs.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 02/02/15 16:21 by railwaybaron.

Date: 02/02/15 20:54
Author: lwilton

There are a lot of scenic ghost towns around the country where the new road bypassed the old road. Only problem is, from the point of view of the residents and local government, is nobody comes there anymore and nobody lives there anymore. Oh, and nobody spends money there anymore.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0612 seconds