Home Open Account Help 208 users online

Nostalgia & History > few early Conrail . . .

Date: 02/22/15 12:55
few early Conrail . . .
Author: 3rdswitch

. . . from a summer '76 cross country (as far as OH) trip,
top: yet to be renumbered exLV B boats haul freight on exNYC line through Findaly, OH.
middle: freshly painted GP leads a local through Lima, OH.
bottom: a pair of GP's led a local near Upper Sandusky.
JB

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/22/15 12:55 by 3rdswitch.

Date: 02/22/15 12:58
Re: few early Conrail . . .
Author: ns2557

5831, ex RDG unit. Note the rain gutter on cab roof. Not sure off hand which one tho. RDG didn't send many to CR. Ben

Date: 02/22/15 13:57
Author: SlwApprSlw

I love all three shots. It's definitely a great look at the Conrail Toledo Branch and the Ft Wayne line. Here's some details for the pictures.

1. Findlay, OH - I believe this is a southbound approaching the Mortimer diamond (CR-N&W(NKP)). This guess is not 100%, but it seems likely for the location. The former LV units make it a good shot anyways.
2. Lima, OH - This is a shot of an eastbound at Sugar St tower (CR-DT&I). I remember the flashing stop signs on Sugar St as a kid. Sadly, I don't remember when they were removed. It could have been sometime in the 90's.
3. Upper Sandusky, OH - This is a shot of a westbound train approaching the diamond (CR-C&O).

As always, if you find more shots of the area, please post them. It's always a great look at the trains during the time. Much of the traffic on these lines have been greatly reduced.

Cass Telles
"Slow-Approach-Slow" - 'Go by way of the B&O'
Railroads of NW Ohio
http://www.trainweb.org/rrnwoh
My photostream on Flickr - http://www.flickr.com/photos/ctelles/

Date: 02/22/15 14:09
Author: stevelv

Nice Joe. Great catch with the Valley U23B duo.

Date: 02/22/15 17:40
Author: rdg902

CR 5831, ex RDG 629, a GP7.

Date: 02/22/15 17:44
Author: SP8595

Always enjoy early Conrail shots! Those Lehigh Valley GE's are very nice. Where's the "can opener" on the Blue Geep!?!

Date: 02/22/15 18:00
Author: ns2557

SP8595 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Always enjoy early Conrail shots! Those Lehigh
> Valley GE's are very nice. Where's the "can
> opener" on the Blue Geep!?!

SP, Some of the CR shops back then didn't apply the complete paint scheme. It varied from shop to shop. Not sure as to why, but it was more common than one might believe. Ben

Date: 02/22/15 18:04
Author: penncentral74

Very,very nice!

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.046 seconds