Home Open Account Help 352 users online

Nostalgia & History > Canon Diablo, New Mexico

Date: 02/24/15 06:16
Canon Diablo, New Mexico
Author: flynn

I found the location where picture 5, 23 was taken.

Picture 5, 23 is on the posting, Trip to New Mexico D. & R.G.R.R. Colo.

http://www.trainorders.com/discussion/read.php?11,3671295

Picture 1 is from the Denver Public Library website,

http://cdm16079.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm

Picture 1, Call Number: CHS.J592. Title: Canon Diablo, Santa Fe Southern Ry. Creator(s): Jackson, William Henry, 1843-1942. Summary: View of a Denver & Rio Grande Railway locomotive and passenger car in what is identified as Canon Diablo on the Chili Line in Santa Fe County, New Mexico. Shows engineers, conductors and passengers; a man stands next to an unstrung telegraph pole. Date: between 1882 and 1890? Physical Description: 1 photonegative mounted on glass plate : nitrate ; 13 x 21 cm. (5 x 8 in.).”

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/24/15 06:30 by flynn.

Date: 02/24/15 06:18
Re: Canon Diablo, New Mexico
Author: flynn

Picture 2, picture 1 enlarged.

Date: 02/24/15 07:51
Author: Super_C

flynn Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> passengers; a man stands next to an unstrung
> telegraph pole.

Looks to be one wire on my monitor. I am also wondering if this train is northbound from Santa Fe prior to reaching Buckman which was on the Rio Grande River. My reason for wondering is that there appears to be a faint outline of a mountain peak in the background. That would be one of the peaks in the Jemez Mountains behind Los Alamos. The Sangre de Cristo Mountains north of Santa Fe are not visible from this deep in the canyon.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/24/15 07:52 by Super_C.

Date: 02/24/15 09:44
Author: BlackWidow

Drove the US Highway next to the old Chili line last summer from Antonito to Santa Fe. The old ROW is still visible until you get into the Santa Fe area.

Date: 02/24/15 19:30
Author: Evan_Werkema

Good job finding the picture being taken by the photographer in your earlier thread! Looks like this is still the same southbound train as in the shot at the Otowi bridge. Buckman is between Otowi and this spot, where the Rio Grande (railroad) parted ways with the Rio Grande (river) and started climbing up out of the canyon toward Santa Fe (town) following the Cañada Ancha. The photo location was probably right about here looking west:

http://goo.gl/maps/8OIiA

"Canon Diablo" shows up as "Caja Del Rio Canyon" on topo maps. The railroad didn't go through the gap between the sheer cliffs in the distance, but passed north of it.

Date: 02/24/15 22:28
Author: lwilton

The stereoview photographer seems to have gotten the better images. This one is either a double exposure or the camera slid down vertically during the exposure. You can see the front of the engine at two distinct places in the image. On the other hand, the people are quite badly blurred, partly from obvious movements and partly from the camera slippage.

Date: 02/25/15 04:43
Author: Super_C

Evan_Werkema Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Good job finding the picture being taken by the
> photographer in your earlier thread! Looks like
> this is still the same southbound train as in the
> shot at the Otowi bridge. Buckman is between Otowi
> and this spot, where the Rio Grande (railroad)
> parted ways with the Rio Grande (river) and
> started climbing up out of the canyon toward Santa
> Fe (town) following the Cañada Ancha. The photo
> location was probably right about here looking
> west:
>
> http://goo.gl/maps/8OIiA

You are correct, Evan. I had the relative location correct, just guessing that the train was headed back north. I should have studied the sun angle more correctly; it is certainly southbound with the camera looking west towards the Jemez Mountains.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0548 seconds