Home Open Account Help 280 users online

Nostalgia & History > Switcher Saturday, Detroit Terminal Railroad

Date: 02/28/15 13:26
Switcher Saturday, Detroit Terminal Railroad
Author: MartyBernard

Wikipedia says: Detroit Terminal Railroad Company was incorporated in the State of Michigan on December 7, 1905 to own railroad track forming a semi-circle around the City of Detroit. It existed as a railroad until it was merged into its parent company, Consolidated Rail Corp., on May 31, 1984.

The photos were taken June 13, 1971 in Detroit.

1. DT NW2 109 was built August 1947 and went to Conrail 9199; then to Juniata Terminal 9251; then to NWIX 9251.

2. DT NW2 110 was built August 1947 and went to Champion Paper.

3. Inside the Detroit Roundhouse are NW2s 112, 104, and 115.

4. The map is of the railroad in 1916 and is from http://www.michiganrailroads.com

The locomotive data are from http://www.thedieselshop.us/DetTerm.HTML

Enjoy,
Marty Bernard

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/28/15 13:32 by MartyBernard.

Date: 02/28/15 13:27
Re: Switcher Saturday, Detroit Terminal Railroad

Date: 02/28/15 15:28
Author: icancmp193

The herald is an adaptation of the Detroit & Toledo Shore Line herald. Probably related.

Tom Y

Date: 02/28/15 16:50
Author: DRGW5502

Nice series

Date: 02/28/15 17:59
Author: DrLoco

icancmp193 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The herald is an adaptation of the Detroit &
> Toledo Shore Line herald. Probably related.
>
> Tom Y

Which itself is an adaptation of the CN/GTW corporate "tilt board" logo...Imitation being the sincerest form of flattery...

Date: 02/28/15 18:48
Author: Atlpete

The "misogyny" is interesting to consider, the black with yellow stripping of DT&SL units often attributed to co-owner NKP.
I'm fascinated with how an otherwise "meat & potatoes" scheme can produce so many interesting variations especially on EMD products. Looking at the short list past the examples cited here; SLSW, DL&W, NP. Who else?...

Date: 02/28/15 18:50
Author: Atlpete

Dang, forgot the Frisco too.

Date: 03/01/15 04:11
Author: dcmkris

Wow Marty Thanks for posting these.

Great view of the roundhouse our train club was located there until 1981 when Conrail unceremoniously gave us the boot,
of course shortly there after August 1981 the RR, shops and yard disappeared to be replaced by a State of Michigan
correctional facility.

The Terminal was owned 50/50 GTW & NYC no DT&SL in its lineage. GTW sold out it's interest to Conrail in 1980, at that point
Conrail moved ops gradually to North Yard and DT officially ceased to exist in May of 1984.

D&TSL tilted logo wasn't introduced until 1950/1 (IIRC), while the Terminal's was introduced in 1947. Most probably the inspiration
was Grand Trunk Westerns herald design used on the late 1930's SC switchers delivered by Electro Motive Corp.

The last 10-15 years included a roster of eleven NW-2's and one SW-7 cabooses by that time consisted of X-NYC N6A transfer hacks.

GTW #6323 also called the DT home for quite sometime 1960 to 1981 and was caught in the roundhouse fire I think in 1970 or 71.
Sorry I'm not positive on the date after all I was born in 1975 so most of my history is from the other members of the club.

My best story of the #6323 is that she had been sitting for several years in the roundhouse and the Terminal decided that they
were going to have an employee open house I think around 67. So it was ordered for #6323 be pulled out onto the turntable and parked.
Well they did that and left her sitting thinking that she had sat for so long that the hand brake would be good. Well lo and behold
the rolling bearings on the big 4-8-4 were in remarkable shape and before long #6323 had gone walk about into the yard. So the
few pics you may see of the open house show the big 4-8-4 with a NW coupled to her to prevent her from going walk about again.

Kris

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/01/15 04:29 by dcmkris.

Date: 03/01/15 08:48

Kris, thanks for adding that to the thread.

Marty Bernard

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0614 seconds