Home Open Account Help 323 users online

Nostalgia & History > 35 Years Ago Today ...the end of the MILW Iowa Main

Date: 03/01/15 12:01
35 Years Ago Today ...the end of the MILW Iowa Main
Author: MILW86A

Today is a somber day.....35 years ago today the Iowa Division became a memory as the last revenue train left Marion, Iowa. So today this Sunday, if you were a employee on the old Iowa mainline or railfanned it, please share some of your stories. I know for me, its where I got my intrest in this hobby. And if I could, I'd wish I got names of all the crews that gave me waves back in the 78/79/80 era. I know one was Vern Huston. The Iowa main might be gone, but no one can tear up my memories.

Here are a couple of images from my late friend Bill Kuba that remind me of the Iowa Division I remember. First is the 2026 West between Louisa and the Cedar River Bridge in 1975. Today this Highway 100, and Twin Pines Golf Course would be to the right. The second is Train 106 with a pair of PNC SD24's(ex Southern) at Paralta Iowa in April 1979. Normally 106 and 107 got solid sets of ABBA F's but this day was an exception.

Remembering the Milwaukee Omaha Main......

MILW86A

Date: 03/01/15 14:00
Re: 35 Years Ago Today ...the end of the MILW Iowa Main
Author: glord

I,m with you Dave! Remenber being at the Marion hobby shop and hearing a horn, rushing to the door to watch #61 head west out of town. Will post some memories.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0279 seconds