Home Open Account Help 379 users online

Nostalgia & History > Grand Trunk Tuesday - Part 3 Switchers at work

Date: 03/03/15 14:19
Grand Trunk Tuesday - Part 3 Switchers at work
Author: Englewood

I think these were taken in late 1968.

1. CN 8120. Looking east along the south side of 51st St from the Eldson depot platform.

2. CV 8094. Looking southeast from the Elsdon depot platform. EWD main next to platform, WWD main second from platform.

3. EL 505. Looking east from a point a little north of 51st St. The engine may be on the connecting track to ATSF Corwith Yard
which is just north of Elsdon. The GTW mains and yard tracks curved east as can be seen by the boxcar in the background.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/03/15 14:29 by Englewood.

Date: 03/03/15 14:22
Re: Grand Trunk Tuesday - Part 3 Switchers at work

4. Some power being hostled. Looking southeast towards 51st St. from same location as picture 3 was taken. High stand switch may be the one off the EWD main to the Corwith connection.

5. Two FM's on the ATSF delivery to Elsdon at 55th St. on the GTW Eastward Main while pulling south off the connecting track at 51st St. They will shove back to yard their train at Elsdon. 51st St. and 55th St. crossings both had manned gate towers. What can't be seen here are the many yard tracks that also crossed 55th St.

6. Looking west on the south side of 51st St towards the Elsdon depot. Note the upper quadrant train order signals.
One of the most memorable things I witnessed at Elsdon happened one day the previous summer while we were waiting for the
eastbound Mohawk. The Ice House Curve which ended just before the depot was 40 MPH for passenger trains. The curve took the
tracks from an east-west to north-south (compass direction) alignment. It was pretty sharp, with the yard tracks on the inside, so there was not much visibility for an EWD (timetable direction) train, especially with a long hood forward geep. Passenger geeps
didn't get radios until later.

Anyway, there must have been some problem east of Elsdon that the DS was trying to resolve because he had the operator put the train order signal to Stop. Along comes the Mohawk at usual speed shooting around the curve and right past the depot. The op was not out on the platform to hand anything up, but he came tearing out of the building giving big "wash out" hand signals as the rear of the train was continuing east.

I am sure the hogger had seen the red train order signal and when the op was not there to hand up a clearance he brought it to an easy stop, but the op sure was exited. The Mohawk backed up to the depot and a few minutes later everything was apparently resolved and the train continued east.

What can't be seen is the bar that was directly west of the depot. I'm sure many a railroad story was told in there!

See http://www.trainorders.com/discussion/read.php?11,3553177,3556134#msg-3556134 for more info on the Mohawk.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 03/03/15 14:58 by Englewood.

Date: 03/03/15 14:23

7. Lets not forget Blue Island. It was also a beehive of switching activity. Here is the 8082 sitting
just south of the 139th St. overpass.

All gone now and so is the ability to get freight through Chicago in less than 24 hours.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/03/15 14:31 by Englewood.

Date: 03/03/15 15:40
Author: ghemr

While scrolling through the photos, as soon as I saw that depot I thought of the tavern that was due west---then I read through the captions and you already beat me to mentioning it!

I also seem to recall a boarding/bunk house for train crews directly west of the depot---maybe the tavern was part of that structure?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/03/15 16:36 by CSX_ENG.

Date: 03/03/15 15:45

Englewood Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> 7. Lets not forget Blue Island. It was also a
> beehive of switching activity.

I've heard "Aussiehinz" mention this before-----small yard with lots of activity!

Date: 03/03/15 17:04

These pictures are horrible due to some defect in film or camera but I will include
because they have some historical value. A Santa Fe delivery in June 1969.

1. This picture from just north of 51st St. shows the connection to ATSF Corwith. In the distance you can see a train or cut of cars curving out the south end of Corwith. Can't get an important connection much closer can you? Actually the connection
was part of the original GTW main line that also included what became the Illinois Northern.

2. I am almost positive this is the gate tower at 51st St. If not, it is the one at 55th St. ATSF delivering to GTW.

3. Wonder where the GTW is going to take this?

Date: 03/03/15 17:42

CSX_ENG Wrote:
>
> I also seem to recall a boarding/bunk house for
> train crews directly west of the depot---maybe the
> tavern was part of that structure?

In the 70's I would hear the Battle Creek crews on the
scanner looking for the van to the "Rolling Wheels" and later
the "Del Prado" hotels. I don't think they ever ended up
at the "Jackter" on Kedzie! ;)

I am sure those names will stir up fond memories in any Battle Creeks crews.

Date: 03/04/15 10:08

rantoul Wrote:
Was the GTW Eldson Yard a typical
> switching yard (such as ex GMO/IC 'Glen Yard')or
> just a series of tracks to assemble cars blocked
> by other railroads?

It was a typical switching yard. What made it unusual was
the two street crossings and that the whole yard curved 90 degrees
just north of 51st St. 51st St would be blocked for quite a while as
a crew switched out a track. A line of autos and much horn honking would be
a sign to clear up.

It was a good place for kids to sit and watch the railroad close up without
being on company property.

Here is a scan of a 1976 drawing. Up is compass direction south, railroad direction east.

I realize it is difficult to read the car capacity for the yard tracks in the drawing.
The horizontal yard tracks in the drawing vary from 18 to 27 cars capacity.
The vertical yard tracks vary from 11 to 50 cars capacity with the 8 closest to the mains
being about 50 cars each.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/04/15 11:00 by Englewood.

Date: 03/05/15 17:04

Speeding-----they were wide open and up to track speed when they crossed 79th Street!!!

P.S. I think the diamonds at Hayford are now good for 10mph!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/05/15 17:06 by CSX_ENG.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.1381 seconds