Home Open Account Help 393 users online

Nostalgia & History > Moving a cross-over in Arcadia 1969

Date: 03/21/15 21:56
Moving a cross-over in Arcadia 1969
Author: lamta_jay

From the Camera {126 Instamatic} of Lee Meyers

July 29, 1969

They moved the cross-over from East of First Avenue to West of First Avenue. This was done to move the horse unloading  from Santa Anita Station to make way for the 210 freeway. The horse unloading was then done east of First Ave off the old Hamond Lumber Co. spur.

I don't think I ever saw a horse car on the new spur, hummmmmmmm.

Thanks for looking, if you have any photos from this area please post them. I lived in Arcadia 1952-1988

Jay

Date: 03/21/15 23:03
Re: Moving a cross-over in Arcadia 1969
Author: DNRY122

My daughters used to love running up and down the ramp while I was in the station hearing "tales of the Santa Fe" from the station agent. 

Date: 03/22/15 07:43
Author: Crabbshell

I worked for the City for 28 years and remember the spur . It ended at 2nd Avenue behind the Old Glen of California building. I can remember some flat cars there form time top time. Thanks for the photo, 

Date: 03/22/15 12:42
Author: wag

I rode former Soo Line business car #54 from San Bernardino to San Diego and back in December of 1970. From San Bernardino to Los Angeles we were on the rear of  #23. After some fast running (97mph through Etiwanda- the car is equipped with a speedometer) we stopped in the wee small hours to set out a horse express car for Santa Anita. Perhaps that car was set out on the track you are speaking of.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.056 seconds