Home Open Account Help 325 users online

Nostalgia & History > Another ragged out SP Tunnel Motor

Date: 03/22/15 13:17
Another ragged out SP Tunnel Motor
Author: photobob

I remember when I would go out for a little train photography and have to settle for some worse for wear looking SP locomotive on the point. After looking at the same old yellow all these years a ragged out SP on the point would be a joy. Case in point heres SP9204 West passing the old section houses at Mott. Another photo of a worn SP unit on the point. Mott road was still dirt and didn't warrant  crossing gates. The section house was taken out years ago and as for the Mott sign it somehow it ended up in my back yard leaning up against my apple tree. Every time I look out my back window at that tree I can still see that ragged out Tunnel Motor passing it.

Robert Morris Photography 
http://www.snowcrest.net/photobob/index1.html

Date: 03/22/15 15:24
Re: Another ragged out SP Tunnel Motor
Author: dbinterlock

Another great SP freight train action photo. Am I seeing things, does the third unit, an SD45, have behind the cab snowshields on it? What number would it be? Thanks to anyone for information.

Date: 03/22/15 17:08
Author: hogheaded

Well, my memory seems to be giving me fits lately, but lessee... Stopped at Mott westbound: When you get the signal, put 'em in full dynamic, release the automatic brakes but keep 40 lbs. or so of independent, and at until t six MPH, give it first service, release the independent a the dynamics kick-in and see what the train does - you don't want to be over 20 MPH at Cantara, so if the train is running on you, give it more air in 1/2 pound increments until you have a handle on it. Does that sound right, guys?

Which brings up the question for you "modern" engineers: How do you do this these days with those newfangled brake valves? I'd like to know.

OH! Thanks Bob! Your photo reminds me of how much I enjoyed running trains up there in the hills. I can smell that sand.

EO

Date: 03/22/15 18:35
Author: roustabout

hogheaded Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Well, my memory seems to be giving me fits lately,
> but lessee... Stopped at Mott westbound: When you
> get the signal, put 'em in full dynamic, release
> the automatic brakes but keep 40 lbs. or so of
> independent, and at until t six MPH, give it first
> service, release the independent a the dynamics
> kick-in and see what the train does - you don't
> want to be over 20 MPH at Cantara, so if the train
> is running on you, give it more air in 1/2 pound
> increments until you have a handle on it. Does
> that sound right, guys?
>
> Which brings up the question for you "modern"
> engineers: How do you do this these days with
> those newfangled brake valves? I'd like to know.
>
> OH! Thanks Bob! Your photo reminds me of how much
> I enjoyed running trains up there in the hills. I
> can smell that sand.
>
> EO

And hang on tight!  Thanks for your $0.02, hoghead!  I only have about 4.5 miles of (at worse) 2.5 % grade to deal with but units without extended range.  It's always fun plotting my strategy for getting down the hill.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/22/15 18:37 by roustabout.

Date: 03/22/15 21:38
Author: Cajon92

Very nice shot.

~Ryan

Date: 03/22/15 22:33
Author: SP1984

SP SD45 with snow shields....might be the SP 8818...

http://espee.railfan.net/nonindex/sd45_photos/8818a_sp-sd45-thom_anderson.jpg

Date: 03/23/15 13:26
Author: johnsweetser

photobob wrote: 

> Case in point heres SP9204 West passing the old section houses at Mott.
> The section house was taken out years ago...

photobob is using the term "section house" in a pretty broad sense, which may be confusing to some viewers.  Specifically, the building in the photo is a tool shed.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0581 seconds