Home Open Account Help 271 users online

Nostalgia & History > Railfan bad luck

Date: 03/24/15 08:02
Railfan bad luck
Author: santafe199

I’d say this is a situation probably every slide shooter has found him/herself in at least once. While out shooting there was a slight miscalculation in the stock of film left to expose. Disappointment or even panic sets in when it becomes apparent that stock is dangerously low, and there is much daylight left to burn. I can remember being in this position at least a half-dozen times in my pre-digital days. Back in 1994 this happened to eastern Kansas fan & fellow railroader Tony Fey. His notes describe this calamity perfectly, so I’ll just quote him directly:

“After a day of railfanning around Kansas City I drove by the KCT engine terminal on SW Boulevard. There was a number of Santa Fe & KCT cars parked along the tracks with a group of managers. I inquired as to what was going on, and they told mw that effective tomorrow all KCT engine servicing would be done at Mill St yard. Thinking I would document the day with a number of photos I didn’t realize I was out of film in one camera and down to 1 exposure in the other. So here is the 20th (& last) exposure on the roll; a shot of KCT’s last day on SW Boulevard. Track removal began shortly afterward, and the spot is now covered with DST Corp buildings.”

Ah yes! Been there, done that…

1. KCT 78 & 73 sit at the soon-to-be-closed SW Blvd roundhouse on March 30, 1994
(photo by Tony Fey)

Thanks for looking back!
Lance Garrels (santafe199)
Tony Fey (mopacrr)

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/07/22 20:56 by santafe199.

Date: 03/24/15 08:44
Re: Railfan bad luck
Author: sp8192

Really cool stuff! (except for running out of film that is...)

Date: 03/24/15 09:49
Author: MojaveBill

I have NEVER run out of digits!!

Bill Deaver
Tehachapi, CA

Date: 03/24/15 19:54
Author: wpjones

MojaveBill Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I have NEVER run out of digits!!

But I ran out of Battery with the 3985 coming up Archer with the extra in my truck 100 yds. away!
Steve

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0361 seconds