Home Open Account Help 370 users online

Nostalgia & History > Sunbathing at the 'house (bright future!)

Date: 03/25/15 13:26
Sunbathing at the 'house (bright future!)
Author: santafe199

It’s a very warm day in April. I’ve just finished a shift flipping burgers at the east side Hardees in Emporia, KS. It was just an interim job: I had quit my job with the US Postal Service in January in my home town of Manhattan. And I had an application in with the Santa Fe to go to work in train service. I had no guarantee when I quit the Post Office, but I had ALL of the fire & confidence a 22 year old could possibly muster up. It would pay off. On June 6, 1978 I would establish my train-service date on Santa Fe’s Middle Division, seniority district #1.

But in April 1978 I’m still only a civilian railfan. I’m checking the usual spots for anything to shoot and find this old Santa Fe veteran at the Emporia roundhouse. This venerable old GP-20 is looking very comfy basking in the warm sunshine, almost like a sunbather. At 22 I would never have been able to concoct such a sentiment. But 37 years and a full RR career later I can look back and wonder if this wasn’t some kind of an omen of a bright future for this KS Gang railfan…

1. AT&SF 3001 at the roundhouse in Emporia, KS on April 11, 1978.

Thanks for looking back!
Lance Garrels
santafe199

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/07/22 20:58 by santafe199.

Date: 03/25/15 15:49
Re: Sunbathing at the 'house (bright future!)
Author: 3rdswitch

Three of the four units in the photo appear to have new paint, nice catch.
JB

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.042 seconds