Home Open Account Help 299 users online

Nostalgia & History > SP ash can headlights question

Date: 03/28/15 11:47
SP ash can headlights question
Author: NS4271

Tell me again, please.  Why did SP have these so called ash can head lights on their early diesel locomotives?   Thanks.

Date: 03/28/15 12:18
Re: SP ash can headlights question
Author: Notch16

The original oscillating designs had large reflectors and bulky mechanisms, and were intended for the large headlight openings and ample machine spaces in the noses of streamlined cab units. Until Mars and Pyle-National developed smaller dual sealed beam models, certain locomotives didn't have internal space for the larger mechanisms. The machinery, large or small, included motors, pivots, and drive gears or belts, all of which needed periodic maintenance. And we know how maintenance-averse a railroad can be, if it can be avoided.

All you'll ever want to know (or nearly) about oscillating headlights is here:

http://www.trainweb.org/gyra/warnlts.htm

Photo of Golden Gate Railroad Museum's "SP 1487" Fairbanks-Morse H-12-44, former U.S. Army 1847 at Niles Canyon, with its working Pyle 20350 Gyralight -- sometimes nicknamed "Cat's Eye."

To see this light in all its glorious, sweeping, and unforgettable action, go to the Tube of You and search for the video entitled "GGRM Fairbanks Morse H12-44 excursion."

~ BZ

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/28/15 13:19 by Notch16.

Date: 03/28/15 15:04
Re: SP ash can headlights question
Author: WP-M2051

drumwrencher Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> NS1111 Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Tell me again, please.  Why did SP have these
> so
> > called ash can head lights on their early
> diesel
> > locomotives?   Thanks.
>
> as far as I know, they were a "poor man's Mars
> light", for want of a better term, and weren't too
> successful.
>
> I've been told they weren't maintained, meaning
> when they quit, they weren't repaired... Just what
> I've been told.
>
> Walter

I don't think they were any worse than other gyralites for maintenance but they certainly were more bulky and hard to handle.  The FM Train Masters kept them to the end so they could not have been that bad.  My experience on Santa Fe:  most of  the ex passenger units that had Pyle gyralites tended to be bad order and in those days it was no big deal.  When I got involved with buying a 30 series SFE business car its gyralite was bad order too, although that was soon put to right with parts from the SP West Oakland Diesel Shop.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0468 seconds