Home Open Account Help 281 users online

Nostalgia & History > an F with wings!

Date: 04/11/15 07:47
an F with wings!
Author: santafe199

When you think of the many faces of the classic F unit a small army of railroad paint schemes come readily to mind. But you don’t exactly think of Uncle Pete’s shield & nose wings. Consequently, when do think of UP’s famous wings you do not think of the F unit.

But here comes a shot from the camera of the late Mr Emil Albrecht back in 1971. It’s just a commonplace image of a work-a-day freight F doing exactly what it was designed for. It’s also an image of Union Pacific’s shield/wings combination on front of a familiarly sculpted curves of an EMD face. But it’s not an E-unit, it’s an F! Put both depictions together in the same shot and we end up with a remarkable image not often seen.

1. UP 519 on a manifest at Swan Lake, ID on May 5, 1971.
(photo by Emil Albrecht, from the James W. Watson collection)

Thanks for looking back!
Lance Garrels (santafe199)
Jim Watson (UP6900)

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/08/22 20:13 by santafe199.

Date: 04/11/15 08:04
Re: an F with wings!
Author: Rathole

Neat shot Lance.  This one eventually became Rock Island # 4156. 

Date: 04/11/15 17:16
Author: PHall

Didn't ALL Union Pacific F-units have wings?

Date: 04/11/15 17:42
Author: rschonfelder

Apparently, the F's were common on the Spokane International around the era of your photograph.

Rick

Date: 04/11/15 18:30
Author: santafe199

rschonfelder Wrote: > Apparently, the F's were common on the Spokane International around the era of  }-**Mr Albrecht's**-{ photograph.

No doubt that's true. My last sentence was probably a little mis-leading. What I meant was it seems that photos of UP F-units seem to be a lot more scarce overall than the more glorified occupants of the roster, such as the double engined Centennials and GE C & D boats and other road units that roamed the main line of US hwy 30 fame...

Lance

Date: 04/11/15 19:48
Author: SCKP187

Great showing Lance.  Fs always seemed to be neat leaders in freight service.
Brian Stevens

Date: 04/11/15 20:38
Author: Atlpete

Great photo, I think I actually got to ride on a light move between North Side and Sylvannia Yard in Ft Worth in 1974 with one of these mu'd with a leased Detroit Edison SD-40 , as I recall it still had all it's UP markings intact including the wings and was still quite snazzy looking if a bit dirty. The Rock was power short and a rolling  "mixed grill" then, you never knew what you'd see in the yard or on the nose. Their employees back then were fan friendly too, later I discovered they had a local BBQ hangout nearby on the east side of the river called The Pit where you could chat them up about the company's goings on afterward. Pretty neat.

Date: 04/12/15 18:47
Author: MILW

It looks like a GP9B second unit out.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0456 seconds