Home Open Account Help 305 users online

Nostalgia & History > Happy Birthday, Jim Shattock !

Date: 04/23/15 10:52
Happy Birthday, Jim Shattock !
Author: KeyRouteKen

The date is April 24, 1939.  A little boy celebrates his one-year old birthday somewhere within the boondocks of the great Southern Pacific empire !
A part of his "first mobile home" is shown in the background.  The car was SP Outfit 465, built in the late 1800's and converted in 1931 at Sacramento to maintenance-of-way service.  The wicker rocking chair that Jim is sitting in is still in the family.  It belonged to our late sister Patty, who we lost in 2009.  Her daughter Shelley (my niece) in Florida has that chair.  She has two teenage boys.  I've told her to never get rid of it but to someday pass it on to her sons as it belonged to their grandmother and traveled miles on the SP.

Photo 1.  Jim Shattock, at 1-year old, on the SP.

Photo 2.  Jim Shattock with our Mother Muriel, on the SP.

Photo 3.  The three of us in East Oakland on 70th Avenue.
                Shortly after this photo was taken, I was placed into the home of my paternal grandparents, Victor & Maude Shattock, who lived
                in Fruitvale, and for the next fourteen years was raised as their own Son.  I was suddenly exposed to the world of TRAINS, both model 
                and prototype, and the rest, as they say, is History !!

Tomorrow, Friday, April 24th--2015,  my older brother Jim turns 77 years of age.  We are the only two left from an old SP family !
Happy Birthday brother !!

Cheers.
KRK

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/24/15 05:26 by KeyRouteKen.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0369 seconds