Home Open Account Help 285 users online

Nostalgia & History > Peoria Pics 1984

Date: 04/26/15 14:36
Peoria Pics 1984
Author: MEKoch

October 1, 1984 I chased around the Peoria, IL area looking over familiar territory. 
1) Coming off the BN (CB&Q) tracks heading down to the P&PU bridge is a Havana coal train led by SD-40-2 6725.
20 Next at the Peoria side of the P&PU bridge came CNW SD-9 6606.  Bridge tower behind engine.
3) 6606 crossed over the double track bridge.  1984 saw major repair and rebuilding of the bridge.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/26/15 14:37 by MEKoch.

Date: 04/26/15 14:47
Re: Peoria Pics 1984

4) P&PU switcher 603 crosses the Illinois River Bridge
5) Bridge control tower
6) 603 at the P&PU yard at the east end of the bridge in East Peoria
The Pekin & Pekin Union Railroad and Chicago & Illinois Midland were gobbled up by big "Orange" about five years ago.  Another generic shortline......

Date: 04/26/15 14:52

7) P&PU 603 in another view.  Color is pullman green?
8) P&PU 607 switches in Creve Coeur, IL just south of the East Peoria yard on the double track mainline to Pekin
9) Conrail 1984 arrives with a train from Indianapolis off the former Peoria & Eastern tracks.

Date: 04/26/15 15:09

10) south at Powerton, IL on the C&IM about ten miles southwest of Pekin, C&IM power awaits assignment
11) SD-18 #60 idles at Powerton
12) the clean colorful C&IM symbol

Date: 04/26/15 15:23

13) ATSF bought the TP&W in this time period, so a CF-7 2005 sits at the TP&W yard in East Peoria.  I can't say as I understood this purchase by ATSF, since they really did not utilize the tracks east of Peoria into Indiana, as a method of bypassing Chicago. 
14) Finally back into Peoria at the P&PU Bridge,switcher 405 creeps across.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/26/15 15:25 by MEKoch.

Date: 04/26/15 15:46
Author: ns2557

That ATSF Unit by the way is a GP7U not a CF7.  Nice set of shots. Caught the updated version of C&IM SD18 60 in Worthington Ind. about a week ago in G&W orange paint. Other than that, it still looks the same.  Thanks for sharing.  Ben

Date: 04/26/15 16:08
Author: dcmkris

Nice Pics of P&PU & C&IM.

My one regret in railfaning was not staying overnight to photograph the P&PU shortly after they took delivery of the PL1500's.
We had planned to make it in early that afternoon but other trains outside of Peoria kept us to far away until night.  We made
it to Peoria and I let my group talk me into skipping it on that trip and making it back sometime in the future.  Well low and
behold 20 years later and probably hundreds of trips later and I still have not returned.

While I like the G&W orange paint scheme, it was nice when it was G&W and B&P.  Now it's sensory overload and I get no
thrill to really photograph a G&W property sure I do it because they are trains and I love them, the thrill may be there but the
excitement is gone! 

I get corporate identity and all that jazz, but seriously could they not let the railroads have an identity all their own with perhaps
the G&W logo on the nose of all the locos and on the battery box it could say "A Genesee and Wyoming Property".  There are
thousands of examples of this in the business world too bad G&W is set to be the BORG resistance is futile. 

Off my soap box now, sorry.

Kris

Date: 04/26/15 17:53
Author: Atlpete

These are GREAT, all well done compositionally and the C&IM and P&PU shots are really extraordinary for the paucity of coverage of those roads, talk about right place at the right time. Wow, sincere thanks for posting, 

Date: 04/28/15 09:53
Author: chitownjeff

MEKoch Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
>
> I can't say as I understood this purchase by ATSF,
> since they really did not utilize the tracks east
> of Peoria into Indiana, as a method of bypassing
> Chicago. 
The Santa fe didn't use the TP&W as a by pass of Chicago but ran piggyback trains to and from Hoosier Lift at Remington Ind, and
also a thru train to Logansport, probably more like a combined train.
I think Santa Fe aquired the TP&W to get back into Peoria after few years earlier tearing up their own route from Ancona IL to Peoria.
I think the Santa fe also discovered that what ever traffic got out of Peoria wasn't worth there effort and about 4 years later casting off
to another independent operator who then would sell it to Rail Generica.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0771 seconds