Home Open Account Help 387 users online

Nostalgia & History > The End (pt. 13) Caboose + a hi-hat

Date: 05/03/15 06:25
The End (pt. 13) Caboose + a hi-hat
Author: santafe199

Here’s a tongue-in-cheek image of a UP caboose wearing a western Wyoming “hi-hat”. I’ve been on a half-dozen extended railfan treks with Jim Watson in the 70’s & 80’s. And if I know him at all I’m betting he saw this playfully coincidental shot ahead of time and nailed it. If not, he just got this playfully coincidental shot by accident. Whichever the case may be I kinda like it. Good enough in my book for a continuation of my never-ending, spoof series about caboose/waycar photography named aptly enough: “The End”.

1. UP 25191 trails an eastbound (?) manifest near Green River, WY on November 8, 1979.
(photo by James W. Watson)

Thanks for looking back!
Lance Garrels (santafe199)
Jim Watson (UP6900)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/08/22 20:57 by santafe199.

Date: 05/03/15 09:49
Re: The End (pt. 13) Caboose + a hi-hat
Author: tomstp

I sure like it.

Date: 05/03/15 10:26
Author: YG

Nice...

Steve Mitchell
http://www.yardgoatimages.com

Date: 05/03/15 16:56
Author: Bob3985

Lance,
That appears to be an early morning shot if a westbound passing below Castle Rock, a famous Green River landmark. It is an awesome photo of a piece of railroad history.

Bob Krieger
Cheyenne, WY

Date: 05/03/15 18:05

Bob3985 Wrote: > That appears to be an early morning shot if a westbound passing below Castle Rock...

Well, I couldn't reach Jim when I wrote the caption so I had a 50-50 shot. (That's why I attached the question mark...) When considering Jim's travelling-representative job situation I though it more likely for Jim to have taken this in the evening, but I'll gladly take the correction. I was been through the Green River area once, around mid-morning, but didn't have time to explore scenery. And we are in agreement; it's a great photo!

Lance

Date: 05/03/15 20:05
Author: UP6900

Lance:

It is an early morning shot of a west bound. Note the frost on the ends of the ties and the roof of the caboose.

Jim Watson
UP6900

Date: 05/04/15 05:52
Castle Rock
Author: Bob3985

Yes, Castle Rock is North of the railroad and Green River and having shot many photos while there both of freights and UP Steam. Another good spot I mlike is just west of the Green River bridge looking east in the afternoons with Tollgate Rock formation in the background as well. You still need to come up some time for a trip around Wyoming Lance.

Bob Krieger
Cheyenne, WY

Date: 05/04/15 06:44
Re: Castle Rock

Bob3985 Wrote: > You still need to come up some time for a trip around Wyoming Lance...

August something-or-other???

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0335 seconds