Home Open Account Help 250 users online

Nostalgia & History > D&RG Saloon

Date: 05/16/15 21:15
D&RG Saloon
Author: flynn

My Grandfather was section foreman for the Denver and Rio Grande Railroad in Eagle in 1892, at Spruce Creek in the Glenwood Canyon from 1893 until 1902, at Woody Creek on the Aspen Branch from 1902 to 1904 and at Kent, three miles east of Wolcott, from 1904 until he died in the Denver and Rio Grande Railroad Hospital in Salida in 1905.  My Grandfather had been to the Salida hospital in May of 1901.  “May 16, 1901, Eagle County Blade, 'William Flynn, a Denver & Rio Grande section foreman, was seriously hurt near Dotsero last Saturday.  Flynn and a companion were on a hand car when they were run down by a light engine.  The other man escaped but Flynn sustained a broken leg and three broken ribs.”  According  to my Dad’s Diary my Grandfather was taken to Salida. 

While searching for Erdlen photos I found a circa 1895 photograph of the D&RG Saloon at 113 Sackett Avenue, Salida, Colorado.  I wonder if my Grandfather after being released from the hospital and waiting for a train to Spruce Creek might have visited the D&RG Saloon? 

Picture 1 is from the website,

http://cityofsalida.com/_site/wp-content/uploads/2001SurveyReport.pdf

Picture 1, “The intersection of N. F Street and Sackett Avenue with the Arkansas River in the foreground is featured in this circa 1895 photograph.  The D&RG Saloon at 113 Sackett Avenue faces the undeveloped site of Riverside Park.  Source: Collman, ‘Trails Amoung the Columbine, 104, Erdlen photo, Richard A. Ronzio Collection.”

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/16/15 21:23 by flynn.

Date: 05/16/15 21:49
Re: D&RG Saloon
Author: Odyssey

Wow ... ty for the post Flynn ... an amazing historic image ... the perspective and coverage of Salida's downtown is pretty amazing ... would be difficult to duplicate today.  Thanks for passin' on the history ...

Odyssey
Evergreen, CO

Date: 05/17/15 04:19
Author: dan

trees look bare, winter time?

Date: 05/18/15 05:16
Author: speederman01

Interesting photo and horrible story!  That must have been a hardship for your fathers family.  

Dave

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0368 seconds