Home Open Account Help 209 users online

Nostalgia & History > Yakima Valley Transit 297

Date: 05/21/15 12:49
Yakima Valley Transit 297
Author: JFArrFan

Yakima Valley Transit 297 is seen at the YVT engine house on a hot afternoon in September of 1974. We eventually found the 298 which was out working that day.

This was shortly after the arrival of the street cars from Portugal.

I recall it being insufferably hot that late summer day.

Jonathan Fischer
West Seattle, WA

Date: 05/21/15 14:06
Re: Yakima Valley Transit 297
Author: MartyBernard

Date: 05/21/15 20:33
Author: patd3985

My dad took a temporary switchmans job in Yakima during the mid to late 50's and I got to go to work with him quite a few times and ride in the cab of the #297 and other engines at YVT. I was about 9 or 10 at the time and really had a lot of good times with dad when he worked there for the U.P.

Date: 05/21/15 22:50
Author: DNRY122

297 is preserved at Orange Empire Railway Museum in Perris CA (oerm.org).  It's out of service at the present time with a bad traction motor.  Back in 1973 I was visiting Yakima and found it working out on the now-abandoned line west of town.  We followed it back to the UP interchange track and the motorman gave me a short cab ride.  About ten years later I took this photo of a UP switcher working the remnant of its former "native habitat" near the boundary between Los Angeles and Glendale.  The heavy bonding strap on the joint is a relic of the days when UP was required to use electric power on the Glendale Branch.  

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0382 seconds