Home Open Account Help 169 users online

Nostalgia & History > Depot Friday: Cyrus was here!

Date: 05/22/15 06:09
Depot Friday: Cyrus was here!
Author: santafe199

Any given railfan will know at least some of the RR history in his/her immediate home territory. This just seems to go with the definition of being a railfan. Taking that a step further that given fan might also have a certain historic spot he/she holds dear inside the railfan heart.

As a Santa Fe fan born in Kansas I have a few ‘candidate’ locations around my home state. But the place I hold dearest in my railfan heart would have to be the hallowed ground where the current Amtrak passenger depot is located in Topeka, KS. One can drive by and readily see evidence of Santa Fe history here, clear back to the beginning. The street on which the depot stands is named after Santa Fe’s founder & first president; one Cyrus Kurtz Holliday. And the street address is almost literally ‘carved in stone’ on the west side of the building.

It is quite a feeling just knowing that I’m standing within a few yards of the historic spot where a few reporters & townspeople watched as Kansas Senator Ross & Mr. Holliday (in that order) turned the first spades full of Santa Fe dirt back on a blustery October 30, 1868.

1. Looking at the west side of the former Santa Fe passenger station @ ‘500 Holliday St’ in Topeka, KS on May 19, 2015. The current Amtrak logo is displayed in an electrical sign and BNSF holds title to the property, but the historic Santa Fe circle-cross can still be seen on Holliday St. Although this is a current photo image, it fits neatly into history & nostalgia in my eyes. Cyrus was indeed here...

Thanks for looking forth & thinking back!
Lance Garrels
santafe199

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 08/08/22 21:47 by santafe199.

Date: 05/22/15 06:14
Re: Depot Friday: Cyrus was here!
Author: mp51w

The street sign at the other end of our little street at 4th St. is in bad shape.  It's supposed to say Holliday "Place"!

Date: 05/22/15 08:09
Author: mp51w

mp51w Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The street sign at the other end of our little
> street at 4th St. is in bad shape.  It's supposed
> to say Holliday "Place"!

I checked the sign, and they replaced it with a Holliday "St" sign.  Ugh!!!
Here is the monument that city council member commandeered from the Santa Fe depot & relocated in the Holliday Park neighborhood.
I doubt if Amtrak had any clue or say in the matter.  It used to be mounted just to the right of the entrance with a spotlight on it.

Date: 05/22/15 11:14
Author: The_Chief_Way

Why would Amtrak have any say in the matter? Or even be made aware since they don't own the property?

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0344 seconds