Home Open Account Help 327 users online

Nostalgia & History > Lordsburg, New Mexico 1993

Date: 05/27/15 21:10
Lordsburg, New Mexico 1993
Author: nomosantafe

I moved from Houston, TX to Portland, OR in February 1993.  I made the cross-country trip in this 52 Chevy PU.

It wasn't original by any means.  It had a 69 Chevelle subframe grafted to the original frame and had power steering and power disc brakes.  It had the Chevelle's 350 V-8 and 350 Turbo Automatic Transmission.  It sure drove great and I enjoyed driving it.

I moved to Cleveland, Oh in July of that year and had to sell it because I took my 48 Chevy with me then.  I sold it to a guy in Boring, OR (that's the name, not a description of the town) and he has owned it until March of this year.  I bought it back after 2 years of trying to buy it back (for a lot more than I sold it for 22 years ago, but he finally sold it.

Here's a couple photos from that trip in 1993.

1.  Steam era coaling tower at Lordsburg, NM

2.  SP WB freight at Lordsburg, NMNomosantafe
Fort Worth, Texas
"Where the West Begins"

Date: 05/27/15 21:24
Re: Lordsburg, New Mexico 1993
Author: RickL

Did you do the mods to the truck?  A Chevelle in Truck skin. It looked good in that pic, is it still the same color?

RickL

Houston TX

Date: 05/27/15 21:38

My buddy Joe and I did all the work (Joe did the welding) in 1989.  We built this with parts from 5 different trucks.

The truck hasn't been licensed since 1998 and it's been under cover for a lot of that time.  The paint job was a $300 Earl Scheib special (in 1991) and it is showing it.s age.  I'm just happy to have it back as I know the 2 guys that built it (LOL) really well.  It won't take much to make it a daily driver again.

Nomo

Date: 05/28/15 01:35
Author: GP25

That pick up remains me of the one. used in the TV Show Sanford ans Son

Jerry Martin
Los Angeles, CA
Central Coast Railroad Festival

Date: 05/28/15 05:53

Fred's truck was a Ford F-1, about the same year vintage.

Nomo

Date: 05/28/15 06:05
Author: SCKP187

Nice RR shot as well as the pickup. There were a lot of those around the yard office when I was a youngster as they were a popular model. Wish more of them had been saved---we called them 5 window Chevys.
Brian Stevens

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0534 seconds