Home Open Account Help 328 users online

Nostalgia & History > Air brake handling questions.. Train Separation Scenarios..

Date: 07/05/15 12:43
Air brake handling questions.. Train Separation Scenarios..
Author: wcamp1472

OOOPS, WRONG MESSAGE BOARD... STEAM ENGINE SUBJECT..

[ Note:   I wanted to separate this thread from the long  discussions about 3751 and "undesired emergency application"....]

So, to continue Airbrake best practices...

How would movie actor, LarryDoyle, handle these three situations?  Why, in each case?

[ Operating on today's mainline tracks, using mix of Amtrak and Private Owner cars, either a diesel for HEP, or a Power Car, for the HEP.   If diesel, it is NOT in traction power mode,  I.e.: no traction generator field current...[
The scenario excursion llocomotive is a capable steamer, built around 1936, 6ET or 8ET, with pilot and trailer trucks...]

Scenario # 1.
How about an excursion train, of 20 cars or so, ( track speed above 50-per...) that has inadvertent train separation ---5 cars behind the last tender?
Any special operational considerations, Airbrake operation?

Scenario #2:
Same operational considerations....
The train separation occurs 5 cars ahead of the last coupler?
Any different train/brake handling?

Scenario #3:
Same operational considerations....
A train separation occurs, location in train in unknown to the engineer.
How does the engineer respond? How does manipulate the loco brake valve?

I expect that there may well be many view points about this...
FIRE! AT WILL!

Wes C.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 07/05/15 12:52 by wcamp1472.

Date: 07/06/15 13:38
Re: Air brake handling questions.. Train Separation Scenarios..
Author: NebraskaZephyr

Not that I'm any kind of expert, but what locomotive training I've had tells me to BAIL OFF the independent and try to keep the locos rolling as best you can. Otherwise the locomotive brakes (independent) will almost certainly cause the head end to stop well before the remainder of the train does and you are looking at a potentially nasty run-in collision.

My $.02, subject to correction...

NZ

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.1788 seconds