Home Open Account Help 344 users online

Nostalgia & History > Blooming fog, skimpy story

Date: 07/31/15 07:19
Blooming fog, skimpy story
Author: santafe199

Well… I guess my thread-title will have to do for your RDA dose of corny puns! I was going to conjure up some spooky ghost story to go with this foggy shot, but nobody would have believed it anyhow. Actually, the story details have already been told about three years ago. (…here’s a link: http://www.trainorders.com/discussion/read.php?11,2728384,2728384#msg-2728384 )

In order to escape the hub-bub of a family funeral preparation I took my non-railfan cousin out to show him what I can do with Kodachrome film on a foggy night. He watched me shoot a few IC/ICG rosters, an Amtrak train plus this shot below which just surfaced while I was scanning some of my N&W ‘stuff’. With this engine’s dim headlight cutting through the fog I’ll let your TO imagination conjure up a scenario. Have fun…

1. N&W 8009 on a foggy January 10, 1980 in Bloomington, IL.

Thanks for peering!
Lance Garrels
santafe199

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/19/22 21:29 by santafe199.

Date: 07/31/15 08:20
Re: Blooming fog, skimpy story
Author: whistlepig

No story but, when Ron (Ace Jr.) Henderson and I worked the early Metrolink out of Riverside, we deadheaded to Laguna to start the day.  One morning it was nice and foggy so I thought I'd snap a shot.  We were waiting to leave for LAUPT.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/02/15 13:52 by whistlepig.

Date: 07/31/15 11:05
Author: NSTopHat

Awesome-sauce!

Do that show that I have two young kids????

Regards,
Russ

Date: 07/31/15 12:24
Author: glcaddis

I'm trying to figure out where this is in Bloomington.  Is it in the vicinity of Good Yard in Normal?  Can't conjure up anywhere else that looks like this. Of course a lot has changed in the 25 years since this was taken.  

Date: 07/31/15 15:36
Author: santafe199

glcaddis Wrote: > ... Is it in the vicinity of Good Yard...

I really don't know, Gene. I do remember the IC/ICG night roster shots were taken at the old shops (Alton?) in Bloomington. And the Amtrak/Local shots were taken at the classic old 2-story passenger station in downtown Bloomington. It would make sense that the N&W shot was also taken nearby. But if truth be known, I don't even remember shooting an N&W engine, much less a big U-boat on what I understand is the old NKP(?) branch to Peoria. It sure was a pleasant surprise to find it in my collection...

Lance

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0473 seconds