Home Open Account Help 314 users online

Nostalgia & History > Must Be GG-1 Season

Date: 08/30/15 19:30
Must Be GG-1 Season
Author: gbmott

Several interesting posts regarding GG-1's in the last couple of days caused me to remember and dig out the attached.  I used a long open shutter and while it was open a carman with a lantern made his rounds which accounts for the light streaks.  I finished off with a few flash bulbs, but as the carman had gone around the motor by then he is not seen in the photo.  Night photography was considerably different then!

Gordon

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/30/15 19:54 by gbmott.

Date: 08/30/15 20:06
Re: Must Be GG-1 Season
Author: CPR_4000

That's really a fine shot! The drop coupler is even stowed away. Nice!

Date: 08/30/15 20:07
Author: RuleG

Are you trying to turn some of us into Pennsy fans?

That's a wonderful photo.  Thanks for sharing.

By the way, do you remember which train this was?

Date: 08/30/15 20:18
Author: slangist

may i ask also when & where this was?

Jamie Yeager
Santa Fe, NM

Date: 08/30/15 21:01
Author: CPR_4000

My guess is Washington Union Station, upper level platforms.

Date: 08/30/15 22:29
Author: SPMW5771

The RFD-TV (Rural Free Delivery) cable channel will broadcast "The Magnificent GG-1: The Worlds Most Famous Electric Locomotive"  tomorrow Monday 8/31/15 at 3PM Pacific Time. If you can find this channel they broadcast a rail video every week at this time.

Must be GG-1 season........

Date: 08/31/15 04:45
Author: RNP47

Only a few locomotives have generated such a lasting and enduring interest.
The Drefus Hudson, the Big Boy, the Challenger, the GG1 to name just a few...
Makes me wonder what modern locomotive might achieve the same type of enduring interest and following.
Any thoughts???

Date: 08/31/15 08:15
Author: gbmott

Yes, Washington Union Station upper level, but what train I don't know.  As I recall it was heavy with headend business and was probably around 8:30pm if that is any help.  I searched for the date, which I have recorded somewhere, before I posted the photo but so far have been unsuccessful in finding it.  I know it was January and it may very well have been 1960 but I'm not sure.

As for the next iconic locomotive, only time will tell, but design/styling has been sacrificed to cost efficiency (which is a perfectly rational decision).  As a result I think we will be able to look back on locomotives that have been important (SD40, C40-8, etc) but I don't know that they will ever capture the imagination the way E's, GG-1's, J's and a few others have. 

Gordon

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0328 seconds