Home Open Account Help 374 users online

Nostalgia & History > Maroon Monday: Silvis looks pretty healthy...

Date: 08/31/15 07:58
Maroon Monday: Silvis looks pretty healthy...
Author: santafe199

…but looks can be deceiving!

The brutal synopsis (courtesy of Wikipedia): On March 17, 1975, Rock Island entered its third bankruptcy under Chapter 77 of the Federal Bankruptcy Act. In 1979 the ICC issued a Directed Service Order authorizing the Kansas City Terminal Railway to take over operations. On January 24, 1980, Judge McGarr elected not to review the Rock Island's final plan of reorganization. Instead, McGarr initiated the shutdown and liquidation of the Rock Island Railroad. Kansas City Terminal began the process of embargoing in-bound shipments in late February, and the final train battled three days of snow drifts to arrive in Denver on March 31, 1980. Cars and locomotives were gathered in 'ghost trains' that appeared on otherwise defunct Rock Island lines and accumulated at major terminals and shops and [were] prepared for sale.

1. CRI&P 4700 sits flanked by 2 other terminally ill siblings: 814 & 4702 at Rock Island’s Silvis, IL shops on June 18, 1975. The Mighty Fine Road is just into its 3rd death-watch month.
(Photo by James W. Watson)

Remembering the Rock!
Lance Garrels (santafe199)
Jim Watson (UP6900)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/25/22 03:00 by santafe199.

Date: 08/31/15 08:14
Re: Maroon Monday: Silvis looks pretty healthy...
Author: trainboy03

Nice view of the east end of the shop.  The complex thrives today under NRE's banner, although the track could use some help.

Erik

Date: 08/31/15 08:49
Author: tomstp

Those oil soaked ties remind me of the Rock's engine house leads in Ft Worth.  Oil everywhere.

Date: 08/31/15 09:45
Author: dcfbalcoS1

The oil soaked ground prevented the ties from getting wet, preserving them. I assume the ground is still in this same condition ?

Date: 08/31/15 12:12
Author: miralomarail

Great Photo , there were way to many lines of Dead Locomotives like these

Date: 08/31/15 16:17
Author: Bob3985

Thanks for the post Lance. Silvis was on the west end of my district where I was a brakeman/conductor from 1972 - 76.
I often traversed over the pedestrian bridge to get our power to take out to our train in the departure yard or across the bridge to get over to the clubhouse were we stayed on our layover. I remember those days after our arrival, when we ate at the American Cafe or had a burger in the Green Door bar next door. Memories of a time long past.

Bob Krieger
Cheyenne, WY

Date: 08/31/15 17:11
Author: Rathole

Nice photo - I don't recall ever seeing pics of that view at Silvis.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0356 seconds