Home Open Account Help 238 users online

Nostalgia & History > Fair Train 83 F Unit at ITM Oct 29 1983

Date: 10/03/15 08:42
Fair Train 83 F Unit at ITM Oct 29 1983
Author: krm152

In 1983, the Indiana Transportation Museum purchased four former MILW F Units (83A, 83C, 96C, and 68B) and a complement of stainless steel passenger equipment. The primary purpose was to operate a Fair Train, related to the Indiana Fair, from Carmel to Boulevard Station, adjacent to the fairgrounds, on the SDB. The museum restored 83A and 96C painting them in a maroon scheme boldly lettered Fair Train 83.
I did not learn about the Fs until after the fair. However, I was able to go to Noblesville on Oct 29 1983. Unfortunately, the unit was spotted in a backlit location. The sun was shining almost directly into the camera lens, but I did get a photo.
Things were different in 1984.
ALLEN

Date: 10/03/15 12:40
Re: Fair Train 83 F Unit at ITM Oct 29 1983
Author: miralomarail

Here it is Sept 1983

Date: 10/03/15 12:42
Author: MartyBernard

krm152 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
>  Unfortunately, the unit was spotted in a
> backlit location. The sun was shining almost
> directly into the camera lens, but I did get a
> photo.

Allen, as you have no doubt learned, when confronted with such a backlit situation you take the light reading off the ground in front of the locomotive so the bright sun does not fool the camera's light meter into thinking the subject is brightly lit.  There is still hope for that blue slide (I assume Kodachrome because Kodachriomes tend to turn blue).  It does not look like you had your scanning software turned on to take out the fading.  It should have removed most of the blue.  And then a little photoediting would get the rest.  Also your scanning software should ave lightened the slide considerably.

Marty

Date: 10/03/15 15:50

miralomarail Wrote:
> Here it is Sept 1983

Thanks for posting this photo.
ALLEN

Date: 10/03/15 16:22

MartyBernard Wrote:
> krm152 Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> >  Unfortunately, the unit was spotted in a
> > backlit location. The sun was shining almost
> > directly into the camera lens, but I did get a
> > photo.
>
>
> Allen, as you have no doubt learned, when
> confronted with such a backlit situation you take
> the light reading off the ground in front of the
> locomotive so the bright sun does not fool the
> camera's light meter into thinking the subject is
> brightly lit.  There is still hope for that blue
> slide (I assume Kodachrome because Kodachriomes
> tend to turn blue).  It does not look like you
> had your scanning software turned on to take out
> the fading.  It should have removed most of the
> blue.  And then a little photoediting would get
> the rest.  Also your scanning software should ave
> lightened the slide considerably.
>
> Marty

MARTY:
The camera I used was a Kodak Instamatic Reflex Camera made in Germany. I purchased my first one in 1972 costing $225. Lenses are interchangeable with Kodak Retina cameras. This was an aperture priority camera. The photographer set the f stop and the camera automatically selected the shutter speed based on the light meter. In most instances, this system made taking good photos relatively easy. However, there was no manual override. So, in situations with extreme backlighting conditions, the results were not good. This was a disadvantage of this type camera. On the other hand it had many great advantages.
The photo posted is not an unedited scan. I spent considerable effort and time to get it like it is.  At this point, anything else I have tried detracts from its appearance. I realize others opinions about what looks better or worse may vary.
ALLEN

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0679 seconds