Home Open Account Help 289 users online

Nostalgia & History > Toto Tuesday: F is for Freight!

Date: 10/06/15 06:52
Toto Tuesday: F is for Freight!
Author: santafe199

Last Thursday at the monthly Roundtable dinner in KC I got another interesting batch of slides from Tony Fey, aka ‘mopacrr’. The previous month I had put a bug in Tony’s ear about late Santa Fe/early Amtrak passenger slides around the Middle Division, especially Emporia. I knew Tony had attended Emporia State for a short time during that era and was hoping he had gotten out to shoot a few passenger trains. I was pleased when he handed me 9 slides, 7 of which deal with passenger trains on both sides of that Amtrak coin in Emporia & Newton with a single stray from Florence, KS showing Amtrak’s short-lived “Chief”: train #19.

I’ll be posting all of these gems in the next couple of weeks, but first I’m running the 8th & 9th slides Tony gave me for Toto today. Some years ago I remember reading an article with the same title as my thread: “F is for Freight” (Trains magazine??). Apparently I’m third in line with this thread title. A short Google search provided me a link to a 2007 thread with the same title by TO member “Uncle Joe”: http://www.trainorders.com/discussion/read.php?2,1504720

Tony’s slide images below are of Santa Fe origin and but are heading freight trains. One is in the standard Blue & Yellow freight scheme and the other is in the standard Red & Silver passenger scheme. In an ironic twist both slides are of the same “SKE” make up train, about three months apart. SKE stands for “Sand creeK East”. This was a semi-regular train made up from overflow eastbound tonnage that tended to accumulate in Sand Creek Yard over in Newton, KS.

1. AT&SF 259C on train SKE N-1 just out of Newton, KS. That’s the I-35W overpass back there. I-35W of 1972 is now called “I-135”. Note the train is on the second main line which is still in place, but it’s on short time! Just a few days after Tony took this photo Santa Fe began the project that made single-track/TCS out of the traditional double-track/ABS passenger main between Ellinor & the MoPac crossing in Newton. Photo date: October 14, 1972.

2. AT&SF 342L has just pulled up for a crew change at the Emporia passenger station with train SKE P-1. By 1972 Santa Fe’s once proud Red & Silver passenger Fs were running out mileage in lowly freight service. This scene was surely fresh in many minds: Red & Silver on the main at the station was a time-honored scene. Not quite so common was seeing an SKE train in a mainline crew change at Emporia. But once in a while the amassed eastbound tonnage out of Sand Creek was all Argentine-bound. So the train came rolling into Emporia and, just like the the “big dog” hotshots, changed crews at the station. Note the 3 red-brick platform fingers still in place between the 3 tracks. Photo date: January 12, 1973.
(2 photos by Tony Fey)

Thanks for looking back!
Lance Garrels (santafe199)
Tony Fey (mopacrr)

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 09/02/22 03:50 by santafe199.

Date: 10/06/15 07:02
Re: Toto Tuesday: F is for Freight!
Author: dcfbalcoS1

I wish I could redo my 60s and early 70s and take the photos I never thought were important.

Date: 10/06/15 07:04
Author: santafe199

dcfbalcoS1 Wrote: > ..I wish I could redo my 60s and early 70s...

Oh my... don't we ALL!!

:^/

Date: 10/06/15 07:16
Author: BlackWidow

But if we are going to redo those years, we would need to take a digital camera with us!!!

Date: 10/06/15 07:22
Author: mopacrr

I am sure glad Lance has knows how to use photo shop effectively as the first slide east of Newton; isn't all that good as it was cloudy overcast day.  I tried to get shots of trains on locations where the double track was to come out ,but I am not sure I was all that successful. 

Date: 10/06/15 08:17
Author: 3rdswitch

That's an outstanding pair of trains.
JB

Date: 10/06/15 09:00
Author: The_Chief_Way

Thanks to Tony and Lance for the Middle Division memories !

Date: 10/06/15 09:10
Author: CPR_4000

I'm glad to see I was being prototypical when I was 9 years old, running my Athearn Hi-F Warbonnet F7's on freight.

Date: 10/06/15 09:20
Author: wag216

The AT&SF 325 class of F7s were built for "multipurpose" service. i.e. Passenger in the summer; freight in the winter  Evan, are you there?. wag216

Date: 10/06/15 10:55
Author: retcsxcfm

Lance,
I am Uncle Joe from that old post.I know Buck Dean,who knows Tony and also Kevin
noted in the old post.

Uncle Joe,12 miles east of Tampa near exACL MP 870.4

Date: 10/06/15 13:43
Author: SP8595

Outstanding pair of shots!

Date: 10/06/15 15:42
Author: texchief1

Thanks for posting these great shots, Lance!

Randy Lundgren

Date: 10/06/15 17:58
Author: UP951West

Wunderbar !  (as the Germans say ).

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0592 seconds