Home Open Account Help 259 users online

Nostalgia & History > The "Overland" arriving at Berkeley 1961

Date: 10/06/15 21:19
The "Overland" arriving at Berkeley 1961
Author: photobob

The westbound "Overland" arriving at the Berkeley Station back in 1961. The next stop is Oakland 16th st and the end of its journey

.Robert Morris Photography

Date: 10/06/15 22:20
Re: The "Overland" arriving at Berkeley 1961
Author: BoilingMan

Amazingly, this location has changed very little- a "before and after" shot wouldn't earn much more than a shrug.  Although I guess the lack of change is interesting in itself.
Nice photo.
SR

Date: 10/06/15 23:39
Author: stash

I'd buy a ticket at Berkeley University Ave. and ride No. 27 to Sixteenth Street. 25 cents. Cheap amusement.

The depot became China Station for many years. Then Xanadu for a few. Now Brennan's.

Berkeley University Ave. is pictured. Berkeley station was downtown served by SP electric trains until 1941.

Date: 10/07/15 00:43
Author: mp51w

Beautiful depot facade with the arches and the protruding beams!

Date: 10/07/15 11:03
Author: hogantunnel

BoilingMan Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Amazingly, this location has changed very little-
> a "before and after" shot wouldn't earn
> much more than a shrug.  Although I guess
> the lack of change is interesting in itself.
> Nice photo.
> SR
>  I don't think University Ave is that free of traffic today but I see your point.

Date: 10/07/15 11:18
Author: BoilingMan

The biggest changes are small (THAT was fun to write).
The depot has been modified somewhat- the arches are filled in as windows to create more floor space for the restaurant and there's a clutter of A/C ducting on the roof now. Also the platform paving no longer covers the inside (#2?) track. I wish it still did- spotting the Capitols on the outside track to line up with the crossings is kind of a pain!
SR

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0433 seconds