Home Open Account Help 287 users online

Nostalgia & History > Gallitzin, the East Side of the Tunnels

Date: 11/09/15 19:48
Gallitzin, the East Side of the Tunnels
Author: MartyBernard

The Pennsy dug tunnels through Tunnel Hill in Gallitzin, PA.   Roger Puta stood on the east side of the hill facing east to take this photograph on April 21, 1988.  The lead unit is CR 1936.  Roger didn't record that road number.  I read it from the high resolution scan.  And if you look closely down there, there are two railfans and a deer.  And across the valley are two pushers.

As I mentioned earlier, I am archieving all Roger's slides on flickr at higher resolution.  I have posted about 1000 so far.   If interested, please send me a PM and I'll send the URL for his Collection of Albums.  Also note, his photographs are in the public domain -- meaning they may be used with no restrictions except to credit "Roger Puta".

Enjoy this interesting photo,
Marty Bernard

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 11/09/15 20:24 by MartyBernard.

Date: 11/09/15 22:50
Re: Gallitzin, the East Side of the Tunnels
Author: Out_Of_Service

in this photo the eb single track use to have 2 tracks and was/is called "The Slide" for it's rapid gradient decent ... right at the center bottom of the photo a track diverged off "the slide" to the right and went down a grade to connect to a track that went underneath the bridge in the photo and that track connected to the wb tracks at SF that the train is on ... those tracks were part of the line called "The Muleshoe Curve" and continued on a circuitous route that paralleled the main line to Altoona ...

below is a link for the diagram of the interlocking ...

http://broadway.pennsyrr.com/Rail/Prr/Maps/Itlk/ar.gif

Date: 11/09/15 23:22
Author: MartyBernard

This is clipped from a Google map and is essentially area of the track diagram indicated in the previous comment.  The red arrow is about where Roger was standing above the Portage Tunnel.  The blue arrow is about where the lead locomotive was.

Marty Bernard

Date: 11/10/15 00:49
Author: IC1038west

Holy Horseshoe that's a good shot! The CR goat separating the Erie and La Grange power, photographers on the slide, and a PRR pot at the bottom of the photo? Great image.

Date: 11/10/15 05:49
Author: SP8595

A Great picture!

Date: 11/10/15 08:07
Author: Lackawanna484

That's a wonderful picture.

For many years Ericuliani's restaurant sat along the road at the top of the hill.  Behind the photographer. In 1988, it was likely Mr Puta could drive partway down the hill and watch for trains.  It was a wide open field back then.  By 2009 it was forested. No idea of the current condition.

Date: 11/10/15 10:38
Author: Out_Of_Service

i did forget to mention it was a good shot on Roger's part ...

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.035 seconds