Home Open Account Help 345 users online

Nostalgia & History > Toto Tuesday: A Few Uncle John Memories

Date: 11/17/15 08:00
Toto Tuesday: A Few Uncle John Memories
Author: PRose

We Kansas Gangsters had a lot of fun in the early 80s.  Any railroad was game but, more often than not, we wound up on the Santa Fe because of the sheer number of trains.   Here are a few from a couple of our sojourns.  If I remember correctly, both of these trips were to catch passenger specials; one Santa Fe and one Cotton Belt.

1)  After catching the Santa Fe Special we headed for the hills; the Flint Hills that is.  Here is a Kansas City to Oklahoma City 364 train pulling the grade east of Matfield Green, KS.
May 22, 1983. 

2)  Several months earlier, after the Cotton Belt Special was through Hutchinson, KS eastbound on the newly rebuilt ex Rock Island Golden State Route, we headed over to the Santa Fe to see what was happening.  We weren't disappointed as Uncle John offered up an eastbound "Great Bend Turn" off the Fifth District running as a 403 train.
Hutchinson, KS
January 7, 1983.

3)  The man with five eyes; Trainorders own santafe199, Mr. Lance Garrels.  I'd like to know what is with the BN hat.  Did he know something back then.
Hutchinson, KS
January 7, 1983

Thanks for looking

Bob Helling
PRose 

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/17/15 08:01 by PRose.

Date: 11/17/15 08:12
Re: Toto Tuesday: A Few Uncle John Memories
Author: santafe199

PRose Wrote: > ...I'd like to know what is with the BN hat...

It was FREE...  :^)
BTW: how much "Just For Men" coloring did you really use on this image??? I don't remember having hair & a beard that dark
(much less ... hair... ;^)

Lanzo (ham w/ 3 cameras)

Date: 11/17/15 08:29
Author: PRose

I just used clicked the JFM button in Photoshop.  It did the rest. :)

Bob
PRose

Date: 11/17/15 08:49
Author: 3rdswitch

I was thinking the same thing about the hat ? great bunch.
JB

Date: 11/17/15 11:27
Author: mopacrr

How some of the Cotton Belt Special??

Date: 11/18/15 07:10
Author: texchief1

Nice shots, Bob!  It has been over ten years since I've been up on Pioneer Bluff at Matfield.

Randy Lundgren

Date: 11/19/15 03:14
Author: SD45X

Man it's been a while since I have been under that cantilever......

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0405 seconds