Home Open Account Help 198 users online

Nostalgia & History > WABAC Bonus/ Tunnel Six (Far Out!)

Date: 11/29/15 15:15
WABAC Bonus/ Tunnel Six (Far Out!)
Author: BoilingMan

I got a PM and Tunnel 6 was mentioned...   so I'm posting these now.  
This was going to be WABAC 40something, but I'm too lazy to renumber all the posts I've already put together- so we'll cal this one a bonus.

Anyway.  This is at Tunnel Six on the Number One track- now removed.  This poor train was on it's knees- really struggling.  I guess the locomotives were giving it up one by one.  The engineer (or conductor) was on the radio with Roseville reporting his quickly deteriorating situation.  His radio response to everything Roseville said was, "Far Out".  After about six "Far Outs" Roseville, clearly irritated, took him to task about his lack of proper radio edict.  His response, after a long pause.....

"Far Out!"

SR

Date: 11/29/15 15:16
Re: WABAC Bonus/ Tunnel Six (Far Out!)

Date: 11/29/15 16:35
Author: WAF

They have the Hippy Dippy Weatherman as engineer that day

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/30/15 09:00 by WAF.

Date: 11/29/15 17:12
Author: JamesSchlinger

Cool shots. Just about everything but the trees and mountain in the background is all long gone. Thanks for posting. 

Date: 11/30/15 05:42
Author: gonx

Maybe Tommy Chong was the hogger that day.

I always thought it was far out that SP retained a wrecked CNW boxcar as a MoW shed. 

By 1987 someone thought that the snowshed protecting tunnel 6 was sticking too far out; so it got trimmed back along with the removal of the boxcar and the wood building on the right.

The signal bridge also came down and the spur came up as well.

Date: 11/30/15 10:14

I had a feeling a signal of some sort was once up there at tunnel 6, just a bit west of the shed entrance. I saw an old, green signal shack just to the west of this series of photos when I was there in the mid 2000s checking out the old ROW. Imagine the shack itself is still there. Never have seen pictures of the actual signal though. 

>
> The signal bridge also came down and the spur came
> up as well.
>
>  

Date: 11/30/15 11:41
Author: gonx

Yes, the signal bridge was replaced with a tall mast with bi-directional signals at the green signal hut. A talking dragger (193.1) would highball cabosseless trains from 1988-93.They lasted until the #1 track was pulled.

Date: 11/30/15 11:45

gonx Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Yes, the signal bridge was replaced with a tall
> mast with bi-directional signals at the green
> signal hut. A talking dragger (193.1) would
> highball cabosseless trains from 1988-93.They
> lasted until the #1 track was pulled.

Far out!
SR

(Sorry. Couldn't resist)

Date: 11/30/15 11:47

OK, thanks for those specifics. And I imagine the reason I have never seen pics of the signal bridge itself is because anyone taking pictures up there in those days was focused on the summit tunnel and shed, not the signal bridge. 

Date: 11/30/15 13:34

Never recalled a signal bridge at that location nor a signal mast. Inside the shed, yes, a small signal

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/30/15 13:44 by WAF.

Date: 11/30/15 14:51

I'll have a look and see if I caught a signal in any of my photos. What sort of signal would have been there in the early-mid 80's?
SR

Date: 11/30/15 15:34

By the early 90s, it was not there.

Date: 11/30/15 16:32

This also is a cool shot. Never seen this viewpoint of the area. And that is exactly where I came across the green signal shack in the mid 2000s. 

gonx Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Well, there had to have been one or this shot
> would not have been possible. 

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0736 seconds