Home Open Account Help 372 users online

Nostalgia & History > North Western Wednesday.....

Date: 04/20/16 02:53
North Western Wednesday.....
Author: ATSF100WEST

One of the many "Granger Roads" that I missed out on "documenting" also happens to place in my top-five-favorite paint schemes (the "Route of the Streamliners" hood unit scheme - with stripes all over the place). Yes, I managed to see a bit of it in my youth, with a few subsequent and random encounters in the '70's. So, here, this 20th day of April, 2016, begins the attempt to placate my inner North Western yearning. A note worth mentioning - the two Illinois shots in the West Chicago area MAY BE (from the late) Bob "Mal" Malinowski - but there are no names on the mounts, just a set of numbers. These images were likely taken on the same day, with a Kodak date stamp showing "MAY 66N8". Saving the best for last, the final image was labeled with a "fairly specific" (chuckling...sorry) locale and date - but again, no name. If I am able to determine the "Who", I will correct the omissions.

Without further ado, fellow "Nostalgia & History" Forumites, I bring you edition ONE of "North Western Wednesday".

(I would like to dedicate this post to the memory of C&NWHS Member and Archives Chairman Joe Piersen - who was STELLAR when helping me out with research materials for various North Western projects - in my brief Model Railroading career.....)

"Near and far, go Ball and Bar"!

Bob

ATSF100WEST......Out

Date: 04/20/16 03:15
Re: North Western Wednesday.....
Author: kgmontreal

Great stuff.  I can't believe how clean the U-Boat is.

KG

Date: 04/20/16 04:46
Author: pedrop

Great painting scheme. Thanks for share the pics with us.

Pedro Rezende
Vespasiano MG,
https://youtube.com/c/minasgeraisrailways1

Date: 04/20/16 04:53
Author: CNW8531

Fantastic shots!!  All three are real winners!  Love that U boat and the CGW SD40's especially.

Date: 04/20/16 06:56
Author: RayH

ATSF100WEST Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
>  A note worth
> mentioning - the two Illinois shots in the West
> Chicago area MAY BE (from the late) Bob "Mal"
> Malinowski - but there are no names on the mounts,
> just a set of numbers. These images were likely
> taken on the same day, with a Kodak date stamp
> showing "MAY 66N8".
Mal kept very good notes on the trains he shot,  but I don't know how he labelled his slides. 

The Kodak "N8" marking sure points you in his direction though. "N" was the code for Fair Lawn NJ, which was pretty close to his Teaneck home.

Great shots, no matter who took them!

Date: 04/20/16 07:01
Author: santafe199

Great stuff, Calibro! Mr 'Unknown' was A+ behind the viewfinder. I always tend to forget that C&NW had U-boats...

Kansbro #2

Date: 04/20/16 07:43
Author: CNW

kgmontreal Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Great stuff.  I can't believe how clean the
> U-Boat is.
>
> KG

The C&NW had seven U30Cs, which have January and February 1968 built dates.  They do look very clean for seven months old.  The ex CGW SD40s were acquired with the CGW in July of 1968 and would have been very recently renumbered so the date of the picture seems correct.

Dennis 

Date: 04/20/16 08:43
Author: ntharalson

Final shot was off the Raymond Avenue overpass.  

Nick Tharalson,
Marion, IA

Edited to change name of street.  I had a brain cramp trying to remember it.  nt

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/13/16 08:48 by ntharalson.

Date: 04/20/16 09:53
Author: MtVernon_Tower

WOW! Love the last pic.

Adam

Date: 04/20/16 10:27
Author: King_Coal

Very nice photos. Locomotive variety is great.

Date: 04/20/16 12:29
Author: The_Chief_Way

Great selection and scans. I like 'em all, but have always been partial to torpedo boats, especially those GP35's.

Date: 04/21/16 06:12
Author: SCKP187

Simply a great paint scheme and certainly fine locations to photograph. Thanks for showing these.
Brian Stevens

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0475 seconds