Home Open Account Help 314 users online

Nostalgia & History > CR ‘standard’ blue at Denver

Date: 04/22/16 02:17
CR ‘standard’ blue at Denver
Author: santafe199

Here’s a Jim Watson image that was once a very common scene in North Platte. UP’s sprawling Bailey Yard terminal was once a crossroads for motive power from virtually all over the country. Even descendants from the Pennsylvania Railroad, once know as the “Standard Railroad of the World” made regular treks to Bailey through the corn fields of Nebraska…

1. CR 6515 sits between a couple of Uncle Pete’s C-30s at Denver, CO on March 12, 1980.
(Photo by James W. Watson)

Thanks for looking back!
Lance Garrels (santafe199)
Jim Watson (UP6900)

Added later: I received a PM telling me I most likely have the wrong location attached to this image. This slide was scanned with a few dozen others from Jim Watson's collection, the vast majority of which were taken at North Platte. I'm not all that familiar with either North Platte or Denver. I will cheerfully stand corrected, but the story about Conrail power at North Platte still rings true. I've seen several CR slides in Jim's collection taken at North Platte...

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/25/22 23:02 by santafe199.

Date: 04/22/16 05:49
Re: CR ‘standard’ blue at North Platte
Author: valmont

Lance, per your message here's what I was referring to:

Looks like Denver, not North Platte, I don't remember a bridge over service tracks at North Platte

pic 1 is a  shot I took in 1969, the UP service tracks are to the left and pic 2 is one in the service track area, both in Denver

p.s. hope your heritage shots end up on TO
p.s.s. and I agree with you about CR power in NP, it was a RR loco 'melting pot'

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 04/22/16 06:27 by valmont.

Date: 04/22/16 08:10
Author: x6924w

Lance, feel free to post from North Platte or Denver or wherever. We saw a lot of the same in Pocatello during the late 70s and early 80s with all of the run through power. Even had a GTW SD40 come in from the east once. It just isn't the same now. Thank you to you and Jim for the look back.

Date: 04/22/16 11:04
Author: retcsxcfm

valmont Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Lance, per your message here's what I was
> referring to:
>
> Looks like Denver, not North Platte, I don't
> remember a bridge over service tracks at North
> Platte
>
> pic 1 is a  shot I took in 1969, the UP service
> tracks are to the left and pic 2 is one in the
> service track area, both in Denver
>
> p.s. hope your heritage shots end up on TO
> p.s.s. and I agree with you about CR power in NP,
> it was a RR loco 'melting pot'

Vince,
I agree with you.
Uncle Joe,Seffner,Fl.

Date: 04/22/16 20:54
Author: SD45

Lance,
Like that old E unit.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0396 seconds