Home Open Account Help 271 users online

Nostalgia & History > Idiots - You put the Wrong Trucks on these Units (Forgot One)

Date: 04/23/16 06:02
Idiots - You put the Wrong Trucks on these Units (Forgot One)
Author: YukonYeti

WC GP30 #703 Neenahm WI  Feb 25, 1990 T. Wilson
WC GP30 #711 N.Fond du Lac, WI Aug 23, 1990 T. Wilson

Before somebody says you forgot the Wisconsin Central;, I thought it best I put em up.

YY

Date: 04/23/16 06:51
Re: Idiots - You put the Wrong Trucks on these Units (Forgot One)
Author: halfmoonharold

Wheeling & Lake Erie got some of the Southern GP35's. Here is Wheeling 2691 at Bellevue, OH on 12/2/90.

Date: 04/23/16 07:41
Author: fbe

Think of these as an RS-3 rebuild. Keep the trucks and traction motors then replace everything else.

Is it an expensive RS-3 rebuild or a brand new GP at a discount?

Posted from iPhone

Date: 04/23/16 09:38
Author: railstiesballast

Rumor had it that GE traction motors were better than EMDs.

Date: 04/23/16 09:42
Author: exprail

Former Soo units built with re-built Alco trucks from scrapped FAs. I ran both of these several times working for the WC. They aren't fun to re-rail ask me how I know.

exprail

Date: 04/23/16 10:59
Author: PHall

Some railroads like the WP and SCL had Blombergs under their U-Boats because they gave a far superior ride as compared to the AAR Type B truck.
On the WP it also allowed them to standardize on EMD traction motors for most of the fleet. The Alco, GE and Baldwin switchers being the exceptions.

Date: 04/23/16 16:43
Author: santafe199

PHall Wrote: > ... Blombergs ...... gave a far superior ride as compared to the AAR Type B truck...
I'll vouch for this on a more general basis. I rode many dozens of Santa Fe Blomberg units (GP-20s GP-30s, GP 38s, GP 39-2s, etc). Their ride compared with the 6300 Class U-23-Bs was like comparing a grilled KC Strip to a Big Mac (with or without the special sauce, lettuce, cheese, pickles, onions... ;)

Lance/199

Date: 04/23/16 19:57
Author: ATSF100WEST

Now YY, I hereby throw the ultimate challenge to you.

Find out which Santa Fe Passenger "F" cab unit was tested with Flexi-Coil trucks. Yes, I have seen a black & white "pacing" photo of it (not mine) - on the point of Train No.1, the westbound San Francisco Chief, at Monoilith, CA.

The person that owned the print passed in the '90's, and his collection went...... somewhere.

Nice work on creating the topic and incredible images!

Bob

ATSF100WEST......Out

Date: 04/23/16 20:41
Author: YukonYeti

That is a challenge....

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.054 seconds