Home Open Account Help 264 users online

Nostalgia & History > Some More Burlington Northern -- Note the Broadway Limited ???

Date: 05/03/16 16:15
Some More Burlington Northern -- Note the Broadway Limited ???
Author: MartyBernard

1. I found BN 2038 in St. Louis, MO on July 31, 1977.  She was a GP20, ex-CB&Q 902.  Sorry about the quality of this scan but I wanted to show it to you anyway. 

2. BN 9237 and 9239, both SD60Ms, in Kansas City, MO on January 21, 1995.

3. BN 9921 at the Hollywood Commuter Stop, Brookfield, IL on August 6, 1985.  An E9A rebuilt from ex-CB&Q E9A 9991.

4. BN 9937 (E8A, ex-CB&Q 9937) with a Dinkey and PC 4305 (E8A, ex-PRR 5905) with the Broadway Limited on March 30, 1971 south of Chicago Union Station.   

5. BN 9964 at Yender Road, Lisle, IL on March 30, 1971.  She was an E8A, ex-CB&Q 9964.  I wish I had noted which train this was, or maybe it was an extra.  The home-made CB&Q dome car often ran in the Zephyrs to the Twin Cities.

Enjoy,
Marty Bernard

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/03/16 22:59 by MartyBernard.

Date: 05/03/16 16:16
Re: Some More Burlington Northern -- Note the Broadway Limited ??

Date: 05/03/16 17:08
Author: czephyr17

Based on the sun angle and lack of baggage car, I would suggest that the last picture (#5) was probably train 11 from Chicago to Omaha, which would have been due through Lisle at about 12:30 pm.  Three days per week (Sun, Wed, and Fri), BN operated train 15 on this schedule. Train 15 was the "California Service" which BN operated from Chicago to Denver; it was the remaining remnant of the California Zephyr after WP discontinued its portion of the run.  March 30, 1971, when this picture was taken, was a Tuesday, so BN would have operated train 11 only between Chicago and Omaha.  The timetable notes that checked baggage was not handle on this train (no baggage car), and the only services offered were a dinette coach and chair cars.  It makes no mention of a dome on this train, but they may have used it because it was another available coach, or maybe since it was an "off" day for the "California Service" and it former Zephyr domes, they may have felt obliged to have a dome to give it some semblance of its bigger brother.  

It could also have been train 7, the Morning Zephyr to the Twin Cities, due through Lisle at about 8:30 am, but somehow the sun angle looks more like a mid-day train than a morning train.  The Afternoon Zephyr, due through Lisle at about 1:00pm, was combined with the Empire Builder and North Coast Limited by this date, so obviously it is not that train.

I note that Marty took picture 4 of the Broadway Limited on the same day, March 30, 1971.  Am I correct in guessing that you may have snapped the picture of train 11 at about 12:30 pm in Lisle, then either drove or took a "dinky" into downtown and walked out on to Roosevelt Road to take the other picture at about 4:20 pm (scheduled departure time for the "Broadway Limited")?

Date: 05/03/16 17:32

Hey czephyr17, good detective work on the CZ reminent and Train 11. Thanks.  I would have driven to Chicago and the Roosevelt Road Viaduct from Lisle.

Marty

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/03/16 17:35 by MartyBernard.

Date: 05/03/16 17:52
Author: rsanchez

2. BN 9237 and 9239, both SD40Ms, in Kansas City, MO on January 21, 1995.

Actuallu they are SD60M's.

Date: 05/03/16 22:58

Thanks.  Well the 4 and the 6 a pretty close together on the keyboard.   Fixed it.

Marty

Date: 05/04/16 06:11
Author: Topfuel

czephyr17 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Based on the sun angle and lack of baggage car, I
> would suggest that the last picture (#5) was
> probably train 11 from Chicago to Omaha, which
> would have been due through Lisle at about 12:30
> pm.  Three days per week (Sun, Wed, and Fri), BN
> operated train 15 on this schedule. Train 15 was
> the "California Service" which BN operated from
> Chicago to Denver; it was the remaining remnant of
> the California Zephyr after WP discontinued its
> portion of the run.  March 30, 1971, when this
> picture was taken, was a Tuesday, so BN would have
> operated train 11 only between Chicago and Omaha.
>  The timetable notes that checked baggage was not
> handle on this train (no baggage car), and the
> only services offered were a dinette coach and
> chair cars.  It makes no mention of a dome on
> this train, but they may have used it because it
> was another available coach, or maybe since it was
> an "off" day for the "California Service" and it
> former Zephyr domes, they may have felt obliged to
> have a dome to give it some semblance of its
> bigger brother.  
>

Note the Silver Chair or Silver Parlor first out as the snack coach on this train in photo #5.

Date: 05/04/16 09:01
Author: ntharalson

I would agree that the "mystery" train is #11.  There are several shots taken in this time frame, post BN-pre Amtrak
that show this train with one of the pattern domes.  Good detective work by czephyr17.   

Really interesting stuff, Marty, thanks for posting.  

Nick Tharalson,
Marion, IA

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/04/16 09:03 by ntharalson.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0777 seconds