Home Open Account Help 317 users online

Nostalgia & History > The way the rear of a train should look

Date: 05/23/16 18:02
The way the rear of a train should look
Author: photobob

Case in point an eastbound empty beet train with a wooden caboose and real marker lanterns. The location is just east of the Sacramento Station and the year is 1961. I'm glad I was there to be able to have memories of the way it was.

Robert Morris Photography

Date: 05/23/16 20:13
Re: The way the rear of a train should look
Author: 3rdswitch

So am I!
JB

Date: 05/23/16 20:52
Author: Crabbshell

I can still remember those beets flying off as the train rounded the curve at Carpentria State Beach in the 50s 

Wayne Crabb
San Gabriel, CA

Date: 05/23/16 22:02
Author: dmaffei

More Beet photos! Cool. Do you have the head end? A caboose at the end of a train... Life is good...

Date: 05/24/16 07:18
Author: tomstp

Damn I miss cabooses.

Date: 05/24/16 12:18
Author: spzach

photobob Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I'm glad I was there to be
> able to have memories of the way it was.
>
> Robert Morris Photography

I'm glad, too, that I have the memories. I'm very glad you photographed them and very, very lucky you did.

dz

Date: 05/24/16 13:16
Author: johnsweetser

Here we go again.  The year the photo was taken can't be 1961.  The SP appears to have phased out the use kerosene marker lamps on cabooses sometime between November 1958 and June 1959.  In addition, cabooses built new in 1959 for the SP had no provision for the mounting of kersosene marker lamps.

(the last time this photo was posted on TO (in 2007), photobob stated that the location was about a mile east of the Sacramento station.  Another person stated that the photo "looks to be at 15th st in Sacramento").

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/24/16 13:19 by johnsweetser.

Date: 05/24/16 14:09

Here we go again someone telling me when I took a photo. It sure and heck wasnt 1958 or 1959 as I wasnt shooting medium format cameras till late 1960. I  sure and heck know where the locaton is as I ran up from the Sacramento Station to shoot the Overland leaving town and I took this photo around the same time. So if the SP had stopped using lanterns in 1959 this guy must have been stuck in a siding for a couple of years. You have to remember I took these photos they are not from someones collection so Im not reading some caption on the back of an old 8x10.

Date: 05/24/16 15:12

Here we go again. As far as the SP not using kerosene lanterns after 1959. I took this photo in July 1961 with my new Mamiyaflex camera I received for my graduation a few weeks before. I dint know where you are getting your lantern information from but it is wrong. If you think about it the wooden cabooses did not have electrical marker lights on the roof so they still used kerosene lanterns on them. This location is definitely Fresno for there is the Pullman Shed. Well I have the date and location correct is there anything else I might have missed. Oh yea is the ballast to large? I might not know all there is about the SP but I do know that photos I took in 1960-1961 showed cabooses with kerosene lanterns, It was a privilege to be part of the ranks that have been Sweetsered. In the future please dont question my dates or locations as I was there and you weren't..

Date: 05/24/16 15:28
Author: dmaffei

"N" scale ballast is the best for 1:87 scale layouts. Thanks for asking. Enjoying the lantern history lesson as well.

photobob Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Oh yea is the ballast to large?

Date: 05/24/16 16:27
Author: WAF

LOL

Date: 05/24/16 16:28
Author: WAF

Bob, if you can dig out that photo of the Overland leaving, please post it

Date: 05/24/16 20:49
Author: hogantunnel

Photo B and John S in the ring, love the battle of the rail dudes! Chill out guys, ur both honorable gentlemen with differences of opinion. The earth continues to turn.

Posted from iPhone

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.1849 seconds