Home Open Account Help 362 users online

Nostalgia & History > He was there...

Date: 06/25/16 11:28
He was there...
Author: Copy19

I used to tease the late Bill Kratville (1929-2011).  I called him the 'Forrest Gump' of railfans.  It seemed whenever we talked about any big railroad event, he would tell me he was there.  Often he would come into my office at UP headquarters and let me know let that he was heading out to Sherman Hill.  "You need anything there?" he would ask.  "Bill," I would say, "you have photographed every rock and bush out there.  No I don't need any pictures."  He would smile and say, "OK".

He did have a shot I really liked.  At least I think he took it.  (If anyone can correct me, please let me know).    It was the service track outside the Cheyenne roundhouse with two Big Boys in a night shot.  My memory is a little thin, but I recall it was published in his book with Harold Ranks, Motive Power of the Union Pacific.  I liked the picture so much I did this watercolor version of it to hang in my house. 

Thanks Bill.  I'm glad you were there.

John Bromley - Omaha

Date: 06/25/16 12:32
Re: He was there...
Author: BobP

You done OK with the watercolor! and the story.

Date: 06/25/16 13:39
Author: birdman

Nicely done.  I would proudly frame and hang that on my wall.

Date: 06/25/16 13:46
Author: DynamicBrake

Very nice John!  Thanks for sharing your masterpiece.

Kent in CArmel Valley

Date: 06/25/16 14:10
Author: wpjones

John, Your'e right. Page 263 with Bill's credit under it.
I miss Bill and Anita.
Steve

Copy19 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

> He did have a shot I really liked.  At least I
> think he took it.  (If anyone can correct me,
> please let me know).    It was the service track
> outside the Cheyenne roundhouse with two Big Boys
> in a night shot.  My memory is a little thin, but
> I recall it was published in his book with Harold
> Ranks, Motive Power of the Union Pacific.  I
> liked the picture so much I did this watercolor
> version of it to hang in my house. 
>
> Thanks Bill.  I'm glad you were there.
>
> John Bromley - Omaha

Date: 06/25/16 14:19

Thanks Steve.  I've had it in my mind all these years it was Bill's but I hesitated posting the image because I wasn't positive and don't have a copy of the book.
John

-------------------------------------------------------
> John, Your'e right. Page 263 with Bill's credit
> under it.
> I miss Bill and Anita.
> Steve
>

Date: 06/25/16 14:31
Author: ns2557

That is a fantastic rendition you painted there Mr Bromley. I too, would be proud to display it. Along with you're writing, you obviously have another talent that is appreciated here.  Thanks for sharing.  Ben

Date: 06/25/16 14:44
Author: callum_out

Might be better if it was SP, but damn fine effort, you really do justice to what can be a
very rewarding hobby. Wish I was 1/86 as good doing backdrops!

Out

Date: 06/25/16 19:14
Author: Bob3985

Another of your very nice watercolors and paintings that you did from slides and photos. I do have to admit that the one on my living room wall is my favorite. Thank you so much John for that one. It will be the one that all will see to remember me by when it is my turn to mark up in the roundhouse above.

Bob Krieger
Cheyenne, WY

Date: 06/25/16 19:25
Author: SCKP187

Very nice piece of artwork, and a good story to go with it.
Brian Stevens

Date: 06/26/16 13:09
Author: Margaret_SP_fan

John---
Oh, that's beautiful, John!  And I love your story.  I, too,
miss Bill -- and Anita.  I was a "Passenger Services Host"
with her on several "Pacific Limited Group" long-distance
steam excursions on the UP in tthe 1990s.  She was my
"roomie" once.  But I lost touch with her.    When did she
pass away?

I am VERY impressed with your great skill with watercolors.
That is a very difficult mecium to paint with.

More stories, please!

Bob---
What is the subject of that painting John did for you that
you love so much?  TIA!

Date: 06/26/16 13:19

Last I heard Anita moved back to the Bay Area after Bill died to be with her family.
JB-Omaha

Date: 06/27/16 07:41
Author: WP805A

Hi John & Margaret,

Anita Kratville passaway on January 31st, 2014 .

Posted from Android

Dave Dodds
San Dimas, CA

Date: 07/14/16 17:59
Author: Krat

Wow....what a great story John. Thanks for sharing it. And a fantastic painting...of which I would love to get a print if possible. Let's talk on that off line.

Bob McMorris, Omaha World-Herald columnist, used to say dad was the walking encyclopedia of railroads. We'll take Forrest Gump too. And yes...I think he was everywhere. As soon as I catalog his photos this fall I'll be able to tell you just which ones too. And oh how I wish I could ask dad about some of them! Thanks for the kind words about dad and Anita gentlemen. After I was elected to the board of directors of the UPHS I miss dad just that much more. And every time I get a new piece of railroad china I miss Anita. 

People have been asking me to write a book about dad. I might be soliciting stories soon from you guys. Am off to Sacramento in 10 days for the UPHS convention. Hope to see some of you there!  PS....yes, I am going to reprint dad's Big Boy book! You'll probably see that same photo in there too. Plus lots of dad's other BB photos that probably haven't been seen yet, including color 4014.

Cate Kratville-Wrinn
Brookfield, WI

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0529 seconds