Home Open Account Help 240 users online

Nostalgia & History > From Old Scans - 1

Date: 06/29/16 19:28
From Old Scans - 1
Author: refarkas

As I started copying old scans to my new computer, I thought I'd try to put them through Lightroom and Photoshop and post a few of the better ones. I'll try not to post many that I have posted on Trainorders prior to this. Here are three for which I am thankful.
Image one: EL 7094 leads a westbound freight through Akron, Ohio on 10/02/1972.
Image two: It is a gloomy 04/15/1973, and MILW 774 and companions are viewed from the hill overlooking the engine facility in Milwaukee, Wisconsin.
Image three: Santa Fe F's are sitting just beyond the Joliet, Illinois station in 1972.
Bob

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/05/16 07:44 by refarkas.

Date: 06/29/16 20:10
Re: From Old Scans - 1
Author: MartyBernard

I've found there are pros and cons to reworking old scans as opposed to rescanning.

1. The main pro is that if the old scan was done long ago, the slide propably had not deteiorated as much as it is now.  That can make a lot of difference in color and contrast. 

2. Conversely, an old scan done on a cheap/poor/old technology scanner can only be made so good.  You say you will be only posting the best of your reworked of scans.  If the percent you don't want to show aus is high, that argues for rescanning.

3. I find making the actual scan takes less time than doing the editing.  And since you can be editing one scan while making another, rescanning takes very little time.  Given that you have better scanning and editing skills, VueScan, and I assume a better scanner, my conclusion is to rescan slides at higher resolution.

Anyhow, I've been a TO member for only a couple years.  I'd certainly like to see the scans you posted earlier.  And, if the quality is on par with that Joliet one you just posted, don't let posting history stop you.

Date: 06/30/16 10:59
Author: refarkas

I have no idea why the metal rippled on the B-unit. Sorry.
Bob

Date: 06/30/16 11:59
Author: MartyBernard

I've seen something similar on a unit where the diesel engine blew apart causing some minor structural damage.  But this is more extensive.

Marty

Date: 07/01/16 06:31
Author: MThopper

Maybe the plywood under the steel sheathing had debonded or otherwise deteriorated?

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0439 seconds