Home Open Account Help 265 users online

Nostalgia & History > Friday F unit Foto and a whereisit

Date: 07/01/16 05:59
Friday F unit Foto and a whereisit
Author: march_hare

Hers's a Frday F photo that I got in trade from the late Jim Odell. An odd sort of A-B-A lash up, with a mystery involved.  There's no label on the slide so it's location is puzzling. 

Jim did most of his shooting in the area around Albany NY. My best guess for a location is Amsterdam NY. It would make sense-- this could be the daily PC to B&M interchange run, which often came out of Selkirk, ran out the Water Level Route to Amsterdam and then ran around its train to go back to the B&M at Rotterdam Jct. F units (and Alco FAs) were common on this run for a few years in the early 1970s. 

That at would make the overhead bridge New York Route 30, spanning both the NYC main and the Mohawk River. 

But is It?  The bridge was replaced years ago, and is now a simple girder design with no truss work. Anybody recognize the location?

Date: 07/01/16 07:31
Re: Friday F unit Foto and a whereisit
Author: ClubCar

A nice photo; many railroad would put together geeps along with F units during that time period, so it was not unusual.  Thanks for sharing with all of us.
John

Date: 07/01/16 12:43
Re: Friday F unit Foto and a whereisit
Author: BRAtkinson

To my eyes, it looks like the South End Bridge across the Connecticut River from Springfield, MA.  I used to drive across that bridge on the way to work for 7 years.  I've gone under it a good number of times on Amtrak.

From what I understand, they didn't -replace- the bridge 7-8 years ago.  It just took them 5 years, give or take, to replace some of the steel work and re-deck it.  Their wonderful, quality workmanship still keeps dropping into the river and tracks below in 6-12" pieces of concrete every now and then...

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0534 seconds