Home Open Account Help 325 users online

Nostalgia & History > Classic SOO dress whites with black and red lettering!

Date: 07/01/16 06:44
Classic SOO dress whites with black and red lettering!
Author: slacks

Early in the SOO-MILW merger power was kept well washed and clean. This sb frt crossing the CNW main at Clinton IA is no exception, but note the the differance in colors of the SOO lettering on the 2 GP-38,s. I think they are from differant orders with the red being rarer. Now a white GP-38 is rare and the paint is not in such good shape!

Date: 07/01/16 07:04
Re: Classic SOO dress whites with black and red lettering!
Author: ntharalson

True enough on today's paint, slacks.  

I think the first order of 10 GP38-2's came with the red lettering as an experiment, but it wasn't
repeated and the red lettered ones got repainted black.  

Nick Tharalson,
Marion, IA

Date: 07/01/16 07:54
Author: MILW86A

Nice shot and good memories.

MILW86A

Date: 07/01/16 10:20
Author: exprail

Nick is right. It was one of those "seemed like a good idea at the time" suggestions which later didn't pan out.

At the time, that those GP-38s arrived on the property I was working in the Soo control center and many officers were recepients of free, color, prints, beautifully,framed and delivered to their offices. Seeing one of those sitting on the floor of the CMO's office, left in the paper wrapping, for a month or two I asked if there plans to hang it seeing already that two were hung on his wall. The official being an old but kindly gentlemen said it was an extra and asked me if I wanted it? I was very happy to accept his offer and it hung in my home railroad room for a number of years before I gave to another Soo fan.

exprail

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.1917 seconds