Home Open Account Help 347 users online

Nostalgia & History > My Kansas Santa Fe story

Date: 07/17/16 09:26
My Kansas Santa Fe story
Author: bmarti7

"santafe199" posted a photo of Walton, Kansas the other day. Here's my "Walton" story:

As we went through Walton, my father told us this is where our great grandfather Phillip was kicked off the train. We were told they wanted to go to Newton but could only afford tickets to Walton. So we believed it until one of my cousins discovered a family diarie that stated Phillip and family made it safely to Walton from Germany via ship and train. The truth was a relative had a farm just outside of Walton. Their son, my paternal grandfather, William, hired on with the Santa Fe in Newton and married Alta. They relocated to Argentine and William was with the railroad until his death (He had a heart attack on duty as Conductor on the California Limited between KC and Newton on November 15, 1941). He is buried in the Greenwood Cemetary in Newton.

Some may not know about the California Limited. It was the Santa Fe's first name train between Chicago and LA. It was also the first train with Fred Harvey meal service on a diner. It was all-first class with a barber, beautician and shower-bath. It ran from 1892 to 1954.

Blessings
Bill

Date: 07/17/16 10:19
Re: My Kansas Santa Fe story
Author: santafe199

That story was just as good the second time! :^) Thanks, Bill. And I'd have to say "California Ltd" history is about as rich as anything other slice of Santa Fe passenger history. Including the Super Chief...

Lance/199

Date: 07/17/16 12:19
Author: Out_Of_Service

never heard of the California Ltd ... thatnk God your grandfather wasn't the hogger altho that's when the engine crews had fireman ...

Date: 07/18/16 13:32
Author: retcsxcfm

Out_Of_Service Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> never heard of the California Ltd ... thatnk God
> your grandfather wasn't the hogger altho that's
> when the engine crews had fireman ...

I Belive it had a Huston connection.

Uncle Joe,Seffner,Fl.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0299 seconds