Home Open Account Help 307 users online

Nostalgia & History > 2 Trains in the Same Place, But Where?

Date: 07/26/16 21:18
2 Trains in the Same Place, But Where?
Author: MartyBernard

Roger Puta took these 5 shots from the same place in March 1981.  He was working with two cameras so the exposure number on the slide does not indicate sequence but it looks like he shot the freight train first and Amtrak later but probably the same day.  That's Amtrak 252 F40PHR and AT&SF SD45 5591.  The R in the Amtrak model number means it was built using SDP40F components.

Enjoy,
Marty Bernard

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 07/26/16 21:23 by MartyBernard.

Date: 07/26/16 21:19
Re: 2 Trains in the Same Place, But Where?

Date: 07/26/16 21:34
Author: Mudrock

East of Flagstaff, Arizona  on a bridge!

\Chris

Date: 07/26/16 21:42
Author: RailThunder

That's an extremely rare and great catch on the Amtrak train consist.  The SDP40F was equipped with run-through HEP cables so the F40PH's HEP could be used for the train's electrical needs.

Date: 07/26/16 22:48
Author: Evan_Werkema

The roadmap calls the place Winona, AZ (as in "Flagstaff Arizona, don't forget Winona"), but the railroad called it Darling.  Both trains are eastbound:

https://goo.gl/maps/Wipv8yPVaBv

Date: 07/26/16 22:55

I've been to Darling.  Roger must have had a giant telephoto to catch that curve like that.  He had a 1000 mm mirrored lens I'm told.  I never saw it.

Marty

Date: 07/27/16 00:06
Author: BCHellman

MartyBernard Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I've been to Darling.  Roger must have had a
> giant telephoto to catch that curve like that. 
> He had a 1000 mm mirrored lens I'm told.  I never
> saw it.
>
> Marty

The Darling curve has been reconfigured since these photos.

Roger never had a 1000mm lens to my knowledge. The strongest was a 300mm and these were probably done with a 300mm. However, he may have borrowed a mutual friend's 500mm mirror.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/27/16 00:12 by BCHellman.

Date: 07/27/16 06:22
Author: RodneyZona

Nice shots!  Old Santa Fe RR conductors and head brakies on the Amtrak Super Chief, were based out of Winslow, AZ and worked between Winslow and Needles, CA.  Old Santa Fe Needles based tail end brakemen and train baggagemen worked  to and from Winslow.  Winslow based engine crews worked to and from Seligman, AZ.

Date: 07/27/16 06:55
Author: atsf5704

Looks more like he walked onto the hill of the south side of the bridge at Darling.  And there are three trains in the photos.  The first Santa Fe has 4 units leading 2 reeefers and then TOFC.  The second and third Santa Fe photos have a train with 3 units and mixed freight cars.

Date: 07/27/16 09:40

You're right, of course.  Thanks.  I'll probably eventually run across across more photos from that day.

Marty Bernard

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0361 seconds