Home Open Account Help 364 users online

Nostalgia & History > Amtrak French Turbolines Meet at Niles, MI

Date: 07/28/16 16:19
Amtrak French Turbolines Meet at Niles, MI
Author: MartyBernard

The eastbound and westbound St. Clair met a Niles, MI on August 28, 1977.  Both were French Turboliners.

1. and 2. AMTK 60 as Train 353, the westbound St. Clair to Chicago, arrives and boards passengers.

3., 4., and 5.  The meet.

6. AMTK 68 as Train 352, the eastbound St. Clair at Niles, MI.

Note, the meet took place west of the depot before the begining of single track.

Enjoy,
Marty Bernard

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/28/16 16:26 by MartyBernard.

Date: 07/28/16 16:19
Re: Amtrak French Turbolines Meet at Niles, MI
Author: MartyBernard

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/28/16 16:21 by MartyBernard.

Date: 07/28/16 17:45
Author: RodneyZona

Nice shots Marty!  Old Conrail train crews on the Turboliners in all shots above were based either out of Detroit, Jackson or Niles, MI and worked between Detroit and Chicago. Jackson based engine crews worked Jackson-Niles-Detroit-Jackson. Niles based engine crews worked to and from Chicago. All engine crews changed at Niles except the Jackson based and Nile based engine crews that worked between Battle Creek and Chicago on the Bluewater Limited Turbolliner between Port Huron, MI and Chicago. Niles and Jackson based train  crews also worked the Bluewater between Battle Creek and Chicago.  Notice the engine crews changed at Niles in the second shot. 

Date: 07/29/16 00:48
Author: mp51w

The railroad grip has given way to the current backpack.
Those were nice trains.  I rode them many times between Milwaukee & Chicago.
I never took a picture of one though.  I guess I thought they were new and not worthy.
The large windows really were the best feature.  Didn't the have sliding glass end doors too?
Thanks for the memories Marty!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/29/16 09:18 by mp51w.

Date: 07/29/16 03:38
Author: march_hare

My memories of the French turbos were overwhelmingly negative. ( this from somebody who spent many many miles on their successors in New York). 

The French ones had a jittery ride, and those sliding end doors were leaky and snow-bound in the winter. Nice windows, though. 

Date: 07/29/16 05:40
Author: Frank30

Were these built in 2 different groups?? Notice on next to last picture appears to be two different upper headlight
configurations, different metalwork under the coupler, and the three vertical lights.
Frank30

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0509 seconds