Home Open Account Help 318 users online

Nostalgia & History > Jack Perry: Bayshore Roundhouse 1969

Date: 07/28/16 22:10
Jack Perry: Bayshore Roundhouse 1969
Author: Evan_Werkema

Jack Perry shot a wad of locomotive roster shots at SP's Bayshore roundhouse east (south) of San Francisco, CA on July 13, 1969, and also captured this group photo of power standing around the turntable.  Even then, SP's roster heavily favored EMD products, but you'd never know it.  Of the locomotive models shown, the only one that has gone completely extinct with no preserved examples is also the newest one: the U33C.  Photo courtesy the Western Railway Museum Archives.

Date: 07/29/16 05:36
Re: Jack Perry: Bayshore Roundhouse 1969
Author: hogantunnel

A fine portrait of SP power in my backyard. Please provide more examples, Evan. Thank you. And continued gratitude to Drumwrencher and team for their dedication and hard work at Brisbane!

Posted from iPhone

Date: 07/29/16 06:03
Author: TonyJ

I enjoyed many, many days of watching scenes like this at Bayshore. Thanks for sharing. - Tony Johnson

Date: 07/29/16 06:08
Author: hogheaded

Nice, Evan! One of those "that's exactly as I remember it" shots. I visted drumwrencher & Co. at Bayshore last weekend. They're making good progress on their State Belt 0-6-0. Otherwise, there is so much brush in the roundhouse area that it's hard to orient oneself. The City of Brisbane was scheduled to hold a planning commision meeting yesterday to give their recommendations on development of the surrounding area (called Baylands), and presumably the fate of the roundhouse. Walter?

EO

Date: 07/29/16 06:34
Author: drumwrencher

hogheaded Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Nice, Evan! One of those "that's exactly as I
> remember it" shots. I visted drumwrencher & Co. at
> Bayshore last weekend. They're making good
> progress on their State Belt 0-6-0. Otherwise,
> there is so much brush in the roundhouse area that
> it's hard to orient oneself. The City of Brisbane
> was scheduled to hold a planning commission meeting
> yesterday to give their recommendations on
> development of the surrounding area (called
> Baylands), and presumably the fate of the
> roundhouse. Walter?
>
> EO

I stayed up way too late last night, watching the planning commission meeting on the web. The bottom line is, they put off the vote until the next meeting, August 25th. I'd call them cowards, but I need to stay on their good side - Kidding. It's a high stakes thing - triple Brisbane's housing size, (4400+ new units, mostly low income, or so they say) with, basically, no help from the developer as to increased fire, police, and other city costs.  It's, well, weird - opening up almost a "second city", 2-3 miles from the "real" Brisbane. I have to agree with one commenter, if I understood her correctly, move the industrial part of the city to Baylands, and put the housing in the industrial area, pretty much right next to Brisbane...  Of course, that would be economically unfeasible, I suppose, but I can see the point - I think if Brisbane ok's housing, there will be TWO cities... (and the "new" city will be easily able to out-vote the old!)

They way I see it, the developer makes money, Brisbane gets stuck with the "big city" tab.​ But if they vote it down, and so does the city council, then get ready for the legal "fireworks" - and I'm thinking if this goes to court, Brisbane doesn't have the deep pockets for legal fees like UPC does.

As to the roundhouse, it's a drop in the bucket compared to the costs of building the whole project. UPC does, for the most part, want to go along with SFT's suggestion of half museum, half community center.  It remains to be seen, however. And, I'm pretty sure the roundhouse will be dead last on their schedule.

Walter​​

PS -  great post, Evan. More, please!​

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/29/16 06:42 by drumwrencher.

Date: 07/29/16 08:29
Author: wingomann

I read that the CHSR was talking about establishing a maintenance facility in Bayshore.  Is that still a possibility and if so how much land would it take out of the developers plans?

Date: 07/29/16 09:46
Author: drumwrencher

wingomann Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I read that the CHSR was talking about
> establishing a maintenance facility
> in Bayshore.  Is that still a possibility and if
> so how much land would it take out of the
> developers plans?

Last I heard, it was something like maybe 1/3 of the land, but that was a while ago. HSR is so non-commital, probably due to nobody knowing for sure if it'll get fully funded, or if the rug will get pulled from underneath it...

Walter​

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0645 seconds