Home Open Account Help 281 users online

Nostalgia & History > Depot Friday-Lost Amtrak ticket counters

Date: 07/29/16 06:11
Depot Friday-Lost Amtrak ticket counters
Author: mp51w

1. Midway station Minneapolis-St. Paul
2. Greensboro, NC  I believe that Amtrak is no longer in this nice small modern depot?
3. The old Glenview,Il depot.

Date: 07/29/16 08:42
Re: Depot Friday-Lost Amtrak ticket counters
Author: knotch8

I guess Greensboro was "nice" if you've never been in the "new" old depot.

Southern's depot had been in downtown Greensboro since the railroad came to town in the mid 1800's.  By the mid-70's, though, the cavernous 1920's station, a beautiful building, had become too much for Southern to continue supporting with only 2 round-trips each day, the Southern Crescent and the Piedmont.  Southern built a nice, new combination yardmaster's tower/ yard office/ passenger station at its Pomona Yard on the west side of town.  I remember seeing photos of it.  It looked like it had about 25 seats in its small waiting room.  Amtrak continued using this facility when it took over Southern's passenger operation in February 1979.

NCDOT has long been on a program of improving North Carolina's train stations.  It spent about $25 million on restoring Greensboro's downtown station into an intermodal rail/bus center, and it's very nice.  Looking at aerial maps, it looks like it has a center-island platform both for the Crescent's route on the old Southern main line and a center-island platform for the Piedmonts on their Raleigh-Charlotte trips, so this station has unmatched flexibility.  The Pomona station could only be used on one of the 2 mainline tracks.  Also, the new/old station is a beautiful facility as you can see here: http://www.ncbytrain.org/destinations/stations.html?id=greensboro 

Date: 07/29/16 09:13

Well, there was a bonus shot from being at the Southern yard!

Date: 07/29/16 10:39

Off topic - play one day forward switcher Saturday!  Greensboro yard again.

Date: 07/29/16 19:55
Author: Atlpete

Love these night shots, and the Glenview station is real nostalgia for me. Thanks!!!!!

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0466 seconds