Home Open Account Help 339 users online

Nostalgia & History > A "Brand New" PA....well...almost....

Date: 07/30/16 05:28
A "Brand New" PA....well...almost....
Author: navarch2

...first day in service after it returned from MK.....caught at Albany-Rennselaer station....D&H PA #16 - "M.A.Davis"..... amost no dirt on her :) 

Bob

Date: 07/30/16 05:35
Re: A "Brand New" PA....well...almost....
Author: Milwaukee

Certainly an impressive sight to behold.   I was never a fan of the cars the D&H matched up with the rebuilt PA's.   The cars just didn't seem to be of an equal caliber to complete the visual picture for the entire train.   

Date: 07/30/16 06:42
Author: PHall

Ah yes, the "PA-4".  M-K replaced the unloved 244 engine with a 251. 

Date: 07/30/16 07:03
Author: HotWater

Interesting photo. Why the odd colors?

Date: 07/30/16 07:44
Author: boejoe

Did D&H put the road number into the number board above the cab roof and in front of the air horns like the Santa Fe did?  If so, it's not visible here but, then again, the unit was so new it may not have happened when the photo was taken.

Date: 07/30/16 07:52
Author: aehouse

And here is "M.A. Davis" himself, he with the white-topped head on the engineer's side of PA No. 18.   Marv Davis, D&H's legendary road foreman of engines in the 1970s, was a gentleman's gentleman, and a great friend to the railfan community.

The photo is at Whitehall, N.Y. in the first days of Adirondack service--with the two trains meeting--in August 1974.

Art House

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/30/16 07:53 by aehouse.

Date: 07/30/16 08:16
Author: highgreengraphics

Too bad we let those fine examples go to Mexico to be beat half to death, it's a real challenge in industrial arts to try to resurrect the ones that are left now. === === = === JLH

Date: 07/30/16 08:40
Author: RodneyZona

Nice shots! Old Delaware and Hudson RR operating crews wew based out of near Albany, NY and worked between Albany and Montreal,QC, Canada.

Date: 07/31/16 10:39
Author: The_Chief_Way

Thanks to Marv Davis and others like Bruce Sterrzing who believed in those things or they'd probably been razor bladed years ago.

Date: 07/31/16 14:18
Author: navarch2

HotWater Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Interesting photo. Why the odd colors?

Here...this one looks better....I fixed it in PhotoShop....hadn't noticed that thank you for pointing it out....as you can see the number "16" appears above the cab too :)

Bob

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/31/16 14:20 by navarch2.

Date: 08/01/16 19:25
Author: railboomer

Great photos. I used to see them on the fast mail, while working farm ground along the Eastern Division 2nd District. They could really scoot. They were gone by the time I hired on the railroad But D&H kept the basic look adapted to their railroad. I felt it was a class act. What happened in Mexico was regretable. Now painting one in NKP is just terrible. D&H had the sense to keep the  warbonnet, number board above the windshield etc. gone now. I believe D&H was a class act including the sharknoses.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0566 seconds